Lateral Billable Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Billable Question

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:29 pm

So I was let go a while ago because my office simply doesn't have enough deals to support itself. Still on the 3 months severance period. I got an interview with another firm, one of the partners asked about my billable hours and mentioned that I'll have to fill out a questionnaire to disclose it later. I sort of said I was behind targets (2000hrs) but I'm actually way way way behind, especially I am no longer staffed on new deals when my severance period started. My hours were great last year but deal flow tanked since early this year.

Any ideas that I can overcome this billable hour problem? Thanks!

Platinum

Re: Lateral Billable Question

Post by 2014 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:22 pm

Can you not answer this question by saying "I billed [>2000] hours last year and dedicated an additional [X] hours to non-billable firm commitments. This year the firm has been less busy and i anticipate falling below my 2015 hours, but with three months left I can't say for certain."?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:40 pm

2014 wrote:Can you not answer this question by saying "I billed [>2000] hours last year and dedicated an additional [X] hours to non-billable firm commitments. This year the firm has been less busy and i anticipate falling below my 2015 hours, but with three months left I can't say for certain."?
Would the firm rescind an offer simply because of my low billable hours disclosed on the questionnaire? other than that I don't think there's any other obstacle.

tcg1787

New

Post by tcg1787 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:39 pm

I've heard of firms asking this in connection with lateral hiring. How could they possibly verify the candidate's answer? Can't you just say you billed 2000 hrs and let that be that?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:51 pm

tcg1787 wrote:I've heard of firms asking this in connection with lateral hiring. How could they possibly verify the candidate's answer? Can't you just say you billed 2000 hrs and let that be that?
I think one should avoid outright lying when one is an attorney. But that's just me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dwyf

Bronze

Post by dwyf » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:35 am

Is the new firm aware of your situation? Or is your 3 month severance set up as a 'you have an office and can say you're still employed while you look for a job' and you're not telling people what's up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:50 am

dwyf wrote:Is the new firm aware of your situation? Or is your 3 month severance set up as a 'you have an office and can say you're still employed while you look for a job' and you're not telling people what's up?
Only the head partner in my office knows, other partners and associates don't know about it. Yes the 3 months is the time I have to get a job while I can tell others I still work at my current firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:26 am

The questionnaire is most likely used for purposes of negotiating signing bonuses and/or guaranteed end of year bonuses. I have been through this process, and I highly doubt if they questionnaire is considered or even looked at it in connection with the decision of whether or not to hire you. Odds are they will just use it against you when you try to negotiate a signing bonus. I would be honest (but vague, if possible). 2014's suggestion isn't bad.

lawlaw082

New

Post by lawlaw082 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I was let go a while ago because my office simply doesn't have enough deals to support itself. Still on the 3 months severance period. I got an interview with another firm, one of the partners asked about my billable hours and mentioned that I'll have to fill out a questionnaire to disclose it later. I sort of said I was behind targets (2000hrs) but I'm actually way way way behind, especially I am no longer staffed on new deals when my severance period started. My hours were great last year but deal flow tanked since early this year.

Any ideas that I can overcome this billable hour problem? Thanks!

Can you tell me what you ended up putting on the questionnaire and how it turned out? Any other insight from anyone as to whether or not firms are able to verify what you list?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sh123

New

Post by sh123 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:06 pm

I would like to know how this turned out as well. Do law firms contact other firms in the diligence process? And if they contact HR, how much information will HR disclose?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:21 am

Bump. Wondering if it's possible for another law firm to verify this. I believe only the partners and my secretary know about this. Obviously they wouldn't call the partners to verify.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”