2L Summer (Public Interest): Reneging on an Acceptance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L Summer (Public Interest): Reneging on an Acceptance

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to gather some insight into a developing situation of mine.

Me: 2L at T14, PD gunner, CA (born and raised).

Situation: Did my 1L summer at a PD office in an area/office that I would like to work, received and eventually accepted an offer for a 2L summer gig at a different PD office, again in the area that I would like to work. A day later, received a (very late) offer from a very well regarded PD office on the East Coast. I would like to go to the east coast office because I think it would be a wonderful and different experience, but ultimately want to find work in the area/state I am currently in, potentially in the office that I'm slated to go to for my 2L summer.

What do you think I should do and how should I go about doing it?

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Postby CaptainLeela » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:17 pm

Welcome to TLS

bluthmodelhome

New

Re: 2L Summer (Public Interest): Reneging on an Acceptance

Postby bluthmodelhome » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:21 pm

This has to be flame. Why would you renege an acceptance from an office you might want to work in ultimately? You said the East Coast office would be a "wonderful and different experience" but you didn't say it would give you a leg up on the job search in CA. If it doesn't, taking it can only hurt you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:29 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:If you want to PM me, I'm happy to talk in specifics (they matter). I'm a current PD on the east coast and worked at several "prestige" offices during law school.

Sure, I'd be happy to do that - what specifics would you need?

bluthmodelhome wrote:This has to be flame. Why would you renege an acceptance from an office you might want to work in ultimately? You said the East Coast office would be a "wonderful and different experience" but you didn't say it would give you a leg up on the job search in CA. If it doesn't, taking it can only hurt you.

I can think of several reasons: (1) Because there is always the possibility that I may strike out completely in the area I am in, and for that reason I should be prepared to apply elsewhere; (2) Because for some offices both inside/outside of my locale, having a nationally renown office on my resume will indeed matter/give me a leg up in the hiring process (especially if I have no ties to the area); (3) Because sometimes being open and experiencing different ways of doing indigent defense can help you provide a better defense for your own clients down the road, and that's ultimately what's important to me.

If we want to look at it from a utilitarian POV, going to the east coast office will open several doors and possibly close one. That being said, I am not taking this decision lightly and am asking everyone I can think of for some insight into the matter. I am also considering asking this east coast office if I can extern over a semester, or alternatively, asking the office where* I've accepted if I can extern over a semester. I would prefer the latter, as it would allow me to enroll in a few classes simultaneously.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:34 pm

This seems like an incredibly short sighted move.

Return to “Legal Employment�