Applying during clerkship for AUSA jobs that require post-grad experience

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying during clerkship for AUSA jobs that require post-grad experience

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:26 am

Currently clerking for a district court judge and slated to head to biglaw in a major southern market afterwards (Atlanta; Dallas; Charlotte). My ultimate plan/goal is to jump to an AUSA office following 2-4 years at my firm. There's currently a posting on usajobs.gov for openings at the USAO in my ideal, hometown district. But the posting states as a minimum qualification that the applicant have at least three years post-grad experience. I know getting an AUSA position directly from clerking is highly unicorny, but will it hurt me to apply to this position even though I won't have the required post-grad experience? I don't want to look like a jackass who didn't read or understand the position info. Or is it worth it to apply, even though I'll very likely get dinged, so that when I apply again in a few years I can point to a demonstrated interested to work for that office?

Anonymous User

Re: Applying during clerkship for AUSA jobs that require post-grad experience

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:03 am

I was in a similar situation (although I was only a month or two short) and decided against it. the application seemed pretty strict about the experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:42 am

I know of many AUSAs who got the job after applying to multiple openings, and who believed that it showed commitment to the job and helped them ultimately get the gig. Your likelihood of success is extremely slim, but I don't think throwing out an app is going to hurt you at all and can help for showing this is what you want to do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:32 pm

If that particular USAO has Main Justice screen applications for them (which may be mandatory for all postings, but I am under the impression that it is not), you will get screened out by people in D.C. for not meeting the minimum qualifications. The people at your USAO will never even see your application.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If that particular USAO has Main Justice screen applications for them (which may be mandatory for all postings, but I am under the impression that it is not), you will get screened out by people in D.C. for not meeting the minimum qualifications. The people at your USAO will never even see your application.

Yeah, actually, on reconsideration that's true - I'm the anon from above saying applying wouldn't hurt, but I retract that. (It still won't *hurt* you because no one's going to say you can't follow directions, but yeah, you'll get screened out so no point.)

For the future, though, you may have to expect to apply multiple times, and willingness to do so may be helpful. And there are sometimes openings looking for 1 year experience where starting after you finish clerking will qualify you (still unicorn-y but it can happen in offices in less desirable areas).

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:10 pm

I don't see how it could hurt you, although it also seems highly unlikely to help. They don't have any room for discretion on those requirements.

Return to “Legal Employment�