3L: Apply to only Entry-Level positions, or those requiring 2+ yrs of exp?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L: Apply to only Entry-Level positions, or those requiring 2+ yrs of exp?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:52 pm

A lot of postings say something like "2-[3/4/5] years of firm experience required," which makes sense since they're technically lateral positions.

1. As a 3L who's still on the market,* is there anything I can do to make my app worth a glance? Eg by racking up term-time judicial/inhouse externships/clinics? Anything to say in the cover letter/writing samples if it's lit?

I've heard that it's worth applying to postings that require <3yrs, but 3+ would be pushing it.

*assuming that, if the position were entry-level, my academic credentials/resume can pass the laugh test, as evidenced by a V10's decision to interview me in response to a mass-mail.

Anonymous User

Re: 3L: Apply to only Entry-Level positions, or those requiring 2+ yrs of exp?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:21 am

I was wondering the same thing. I have actually come across several postings looking for candidates with 1 to 3 years of experience. It seems like someone with only one year of experience is essentially an entry-level attorney, not a lateral.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:30 am

I don't think firms looking to fill lateral positions are going to count a 3L's internship experience, since you haven't been practicing at all yet (just under supervision). They want someone barred. I'll let someone else weigh in though.

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:50 am

The only non "entry level" positions you should be applying to are those that require 1-3 years of experience. Expect a low yield on those, though, given that you're competing with attorneys that have actually practiced law as licensed attorneys.

Applying for 2-5 year positions is a waste of time. Firms that post those want to hire midlevels, not entry level attorneys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:13 pm

OK well when applying to the ones that require 1-3yrs of experience doing [task], should we modify our standard mail-merge cover letters to stretch barely relevant school/summer experience? Or will the person reading the cover letter see that we're exaggerating & grasping for straws?

I guess litigation (discovery, motions etc) are transferrable, but what about transactional law that wants things like deal sheets?

Return to “Legal Employment�