1L Summer Internship- USAO (West Coast)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
guzmanlazarus

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:11 pm

1L Summer Internship- USAO (West Coast)

Postby guzmanlazarus » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:10 pm

I am at CCN interested in doing a 1L summer internship at the U.S. Attorney's Office. I am from the northeast, but I am tempted to go west for 1L summer. I would primarily do this to see what life is like in the prosecutorial world and in a West Coast city. I have a few questions:
1. What is the skinny on USAO internships? What kind of work will they have us do?
2. How hard would it be for me to get in at 1. ND Cal (SF/Oakland) 2. D. Oregon (Portland) 3. WD Washington (Seattle) 4. CD Cal (Los Angeles)?
3. Which of these four arrangements would be most highly recommended (a fusion of most interesting office/best place to live for 10 weeks)?

EIWIsMyFetish

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:29 am

Re: 1L Summer Internship- USAO (West Coast)

Postby EIWIsMyFetish » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:53 pm

do you have any substantive ties to the west coast?

if not, i would say its a less than stellar idea. the summer leading up to OCI is often underestimated as a networking tool, and you should be doing it in your home/primary market.

AZ123

New
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Re: 1L Summer Internship- USAO (West Coast)

Postby AZ123 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:20 am

EIWIsMyFetish wrote:do you have any substantive ties to the west coast?

if not, i would say its a less than stellar idea. the summer leading up to OCI is often underestimated as a networking tool, and you should be doing it in your home/primary market.


The summer before OCI is super important for networking, especially you have less-than-stellar grades. Big firms are giving out lots of offers before OCI, so being in the market you want to be in long-term can be really helpful and can help you snag a lot of pre-OCI cbs and offers. I spent my summer in my desired west coast market, and my time there was invaluable. I think it showed employers that I was committed to the market, and allowed me to get cbs with some firms that would have been out of my league at oci (it's a lot easier for them to just bring you in for an interview if you are in town, rather than them having to pay to fly you out.) I wouldn't recommend going somewhere for the summer just for a fun ten weeks, unless it is a place that you are seriously considering for long term employment.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325805
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Internship- USAO (West Coast)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:11 am

Did my 1L summer in NDCA. All/almost all of the interns either go to law school in the area or have strong ties. So in addition to what others have mentioned re: probably not a great idea, it's going to be hard to get without geographic ties to the specific district.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325805
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Internship- USAO (West Coast)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did my 1L summer in NDCA. All/almost all of the interns either go to law school in the area or have strong ties. So in addition to what others have mentioned re: probably not a great idea, it's going to be hard to get without geographic ties to the specific district.


Also did my 1L summer at NDCA - at least in SF that's not true. more than half of people were from east coast/t14 law schools (some with no ties at all to the bay)

Anonymous User
Posts: 325805
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Internship- USAO (West Coast)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:34 pm

1L Summer Internships aren't particularly hard to get.

I go to a T14 on the East Coast and received several interview requests from the USAO in California. Just apply early near December 1st and you'll be fine.

guzmanlazarus

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: 1L Summer Internship- USAO (West Coast)

Postby guzmanlazarus » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did my 1L summer in NDCA. All/almost all of the interns either go to law school in the area or have strong ties. So in addition to what others have mentioned re: probably not a great idea, it's going to be hard to get without geographic ties to the specific district.


Also did my 1L summer at NDCA - at least in SF that's not true. more than half of people were from east coast/t14 law schools (some with no ties at all to the bay)



What is the major difference between the Oakland and the SF NDCA offices?

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: 1L Summer Internship- USAO (West Coast)

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:25 pm

One is in Oakland and the other is in SF. I don't recall which one is where off the top of my head though.

dabigchina

Silver
Posts: 1424
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: 1L Summer Internship- USAO (West Coast)

Postby dabigchina » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:28 pm

Off the top of my head, I think Oakland has more organized crime stuff. San Jose has a lot of human trafficking.

User avatar
cron1834

Gold
Posts: 2299
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: 1L Summer Internship- USAO (West Coast)

Postby cron1834 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:24 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:One is in Oakland and the other is in SF. I don't recall which one is where off the top of my head though.

:lol:



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.