Possible to not gain any real experience in biglaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PMan99

Bronze

Re: Possible to not gain any real experience in biglaw?

Postby PMan99 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:52 pm

cron1834 wrote:On the litigation side, is the answer to do pro bono to the extent the firm lets you?

Pro bono can be a very useful tool to get depos, hearings, etc. that you wouldn't necessarily get on a paid case. Also, once you have a depo or two under your belt it's an easier sell to paying clients since they're not training a complete novice anymore.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:51 am

PMan99 wrote:
cron1834 wrote:On the litigation side, is the answer to do pro bono to the extent the firm lets you?

Pro bono can be a very useful tool to get depos, hearings, etc. that you wouldn't necessarily get on a paid case. Also, once you have a depo or two under your belt it's an easier sell to paying clients since they're not training a complete novice anymore.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:20 am

tyroneslothrop1 wrote:One person above said if you want substantive experience do insurance defense. I'd say that's probably right. I am a T14 grad who failed into doing employment/public entity representation (think Countys) work. I took a depo within a year, wrote MSJs, argued motions to dismiss in court, and generally was allowed to take on responsibility and run.

I have had the exact same experience.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:41 am

Work at somewhere else if you want substantive experience early in your career

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:49 pm

You can find substantive experience within biglaw (using the term broadly), but it's hard. I'm a second year at a west coast startup firm (Fenwick, WSGR, etc), and have run venture capital and other non-M&A deals on my own. On the lit side, I think this would be analogous to working for a boutique of some sort or working within a specialty area of litigation within a biglaw firm. Think long and hard about what practice group you choose--in my opinion it has a much bigger impact on your overall career trajectory than the name of the firm.

Gold

Postby 84651846190 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:23 pm

Nebby wrote:Work at somewhere else if you want substantive experience early in your career

In other words, don't do litigation at a giant biglaw firm that primarily takes on huge matters.
Last edited by 84651846190 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:52 pm

ExBiglawAssociate wrote:
Nebby wrote:Work at somewhere else if you want substantive experience early in your career

In other words, don't do litigation at a giant biglaw firm that primary takes on huge matters.

I work in bigly in a secondary market. And, not surprisingly, do products liability, which is basically higher end id. I have gotten tons of experience and i love it so far. Got really lucky to fall into it tbh.

Return to “Legal Employment�