SLIP Writing Sample

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SLIP Writing Sample

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:16 pm

How did people interpret the requirement that it not be something that anyone else has significantly edited? Did you submit a first draft of something, or just something that wasn't edited super heavily?

Anonymous User

Re: SLIP Writing Sample

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:11 pm

for my writing samples for law firms, they all said ''must be not substantially edited by another person''. I submitted 1L briefs I wrote. Sure, the professor gave me some tips in office hours/edited the first paragraph, but other than that, there was no editing. I don't think this constitutes ''substantial editing''. If you have something you wrote, but was given a quick edit or tips from someone else, I'm sure you're fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:53 pm

I tended to get a lot of comments like "revise this section to include x" but they didn't actually revise it for me. Guessing that's ok?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I tended to get a lot of comments like "revise this section to include x" but they didn't actually revise it for me. Guessing that's ok?

Err, probably not; revision is not limited to instances of someone literally writing the sentences for you. Pointing out arguments / factual grounding / whatever that you didn't include but should have certainly qualifies as revision / editing. Basically, they want to know what your work product looks like before you turn it in to a supervisor, not what it looks like afterwards.

That said, whether they care / even notice is probably up for debate

Edit: I'm sort of assuming you changed the paper to reflect the "revise this section to include x" comments; if you didn't, then yea, obviously the paper is still your own work.

Return to “Legal Employment�