question on SA events / drinking

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: question on SA events / drinking

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:50 am

No one has to drink a beer if they don't want to drink.
CaptainJapan wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:But the OP never claimed there was some kind of moral victory in not drinking. You sound kind of defensive, to be honest.

What makes you say that? All the personal insults I started with? The assumed infallible sense of the one correct way to behave in a social setting?

It's dictionary definition "unusual" to completely abstain from alcohol if you're outside the religion/recovery/health reasons. Never said it reflects on anyone's character...only that it's a tiny bit strange. That radical opinion upsets some people, and I can only imagine why...

So, the OP asked if they would stick out if they didn't want to drink at SA events. You were the one who injected judginess into the situation, by characterizing not-drinking as being about "draw[ing] arbitrary rules" and "attach[ing] some moral victory to carrying a Diet Pepsi around." Those were the first non-neutral characterizations of not drinking, they didn't come from the OP, and they're quite a bit stronger than "a tiny bit strange."

(And honestly it's not normal to carry around a beer that you're not drinking.)

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:50 am

zhenders wrote:Anyone who is giving the advice of lying has never been an SA and shouldn't be commenting. Just don't drink. No one will care; this is literally the biggest non-issue in the universe. You're 100% fine.

This. This is absolutely not an issue in the slightest. Sip a club soda. No one will give the tiniest of shits.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:06 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:40 pm

I don't want to completely derail this thread; however, OP's question has been answered sufficiently. My question is, how much drinking is too much at SA events? Obviously, a lot of people will be drinking and not everyone will be having just one or two beers. It would likely be in your best interest as an SA to not get so hammered that you do something embarrassing or need someone to carry you out of the event and put you in a cab. But, what is the level of intoxication and fun that is still acceptable at these type of events?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:43 pm

kellyfrost wrote:I don't want to completely derail this thread; however, OP's question has been answered sufficiently. My question is, how much drinking is too much at SA events? Obviously, a lot of people will be drinking and not everyone will be having just one or two beers. It would likely be in your best interest as an SA to not get so hammered that you do something embarrassing or need someone to carry you out of the event and put you in a cab. But, what is the level of intoxication and fun that is still acceptable at these type of events?

I don't think there's an answer to this. It's not even firm dependent. It's office dependent. During my summer I would get pretty blitzed. A few others would as well. Plenty of associates drank even more than us, and on an occasion or two partners would get on our level. Yet when I talked to colleagues in another office their experience was vastly different and more tame.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:46 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:I don't want to completely derail this thread; however, OP's question has been answered sufficiently. My question is, how much drinking is too much at SA events? Obviously, a lot of people will be drinking and not everyone will be having just one or two beers. It would likely be in your best interest as an SA to not get so hammered that you do something embarrassing or need someone to carry you out of the event and put you in a cab. But, what is the level of intoxication and fun that is still acceptable at these type of events?

I don't think there's an answer to this. It's not even firm dependent. It's office dependent. During my summer I would get pretty blitzed. A few others would as well. Plenty of associates drank even more than us, and on an occasion or two partners would get on our level. Yet when I talked to colleagues in another office their experience was vastly different and more tame.

I figured this would be pretty firm dependent. But it is helpful to hear other experiences. So is it safe to say at your SA firm that getting blizted regularly wouldn't have caused a "no offer?"

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:04 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:

I figured this would be pretty firm dependent. But it is helpful to hear other experiences. So is it safe to say at your SA firm that getting blizted regularly wouldn't have caused a "no offer?"

No. Drinking wouldn't have been a reason. Granted, it's a 100% offer firm but almost every event involved drinking and no one seemed to care whether it was responsible drinking or not :lol:

Boltsfan

New

Postby Boltsfan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:09 pm

Feel it out. I agree that this is office dependent. Some offices at my SA firm were pretty debauched, others seemed pretty straight-laced. Err on the side of caution early on, but if your office is cool with it feel free to go hard when others are going hard. Just keep in mind that you're a professional now and you need to be able to pour yourself into the office the next day (assuming its a work day).

Paul Campos

Silver

Postby Paul Campos » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:33 pm

There are some weird assumptions in this thread. 30% of the US adult population never drinks (defined as not having had an alcoholic drink in the last year), and close to another 20% drinks only rarely (defined as not having had a drink in the last month). So basically half the adult population doesn't drink.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:38 pm

Paul Campos wrote:There are some weird assumptions in this thread. 30% of the US adult population never drinks (defined as not having had an alcoholic drink in the last year), and close to another 20% drinks only rarely (defined as not having had a drink in the last month). So basically half the adult population doesn't drink.

I think your statistics would be more persuasive and applicable if the sample population was of lawyers, rather than the entire US population. For obvious reasons, including that alcohol consumption is higher among attorneys than the rest of the population.

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:45 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:There are some weird assumptions in this thread. 30% of the US adult population never drinks (defined as not having had an alcoholic drink in the last year), and close to another 20% drinks only rarely (defined as not having had a drink in the last month). So basically half the adult population doesn't drink.

I think your statistics would be more persuasive and applicable if the sample population was of lawyers, rather than the entire US population. For obvious reasons, including that alcohol consumption is higher among attorneys than the rest of the population.

Not to mention the attorneys who choose to attend these alcohol-fueled events are by and large the attorneys who drink. That said I agree with everyone else who has said that it doesn't matter whether you're holding a vodka tonic or a club soda.

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Postby patentlitigatrix » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As someone who really never drinks (simply just never want to; nothing really against it), will I stick out at SA events next summer? I know a lot of them have drinking. I hate to be the guy holding water when everyone else is having a good time and then being noticed ...

I am not much of a drinker either, and I often didn't/don't drink at events. Sometimes I'll have a glass of wine, sometimes not. No one else has ever asked me why I don't drink. I don't have "strong" reasons either, aside from sometimes I just don't feel like it. I do a lot of endurance sports, and drinking makes me get dehydrated. And I was in my first trimester during my SA (that IS a strong reason, but you don't really tell people you are pregnant in your first trimester). Don't feel compelled to hold an alcoholic beverage. Do what you want.

Paul Campos

Silver

Postby Paul Campos » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:06 pm

Lawyers have much higher rates of alcohol abuse than the general population. Whether a significantly higher percentage of lawyers drink than the rate of alcohol use in the gen pop is another question, to which I don't know the answer. But there's nothing uncommon or unusual about complete alcohol abstention among American adults. All the more reason not to spread bizarre notions about how you have to drink a little, or pretend to drink, or lie about why you don't drink, to get along in a law firm social context.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:56 pm

CaptainJapan wrote:If it's not for moral/religious/recovery reasons...why not just nurse a beer? I'm not a big drinker, but refusing a drop of alcohol for no reason, if it's not weird, it's potentially a conversation-stopper. Maybe I'm an outlier here but it seems like nobody expects people to drink so much for the sake of being intoxicated...it's just a social norm. Obviously not a big deal, and not something I would worry about...but I don't know why you wouldn't just carry a drink around. 0% weird to say "I don't drink much" and about 7% weird (to me) to say "I absolutely will not drink and for no real reason"

This is the situation I am imagining. Usually, I'll nurse a beer. Drink about half and be done. That has been my MO for a while when I do feel the need to drink, and it works well; I get to try a new beer/IPA but avoid all the bad effects that come with drinking a lot. The only anxiety inducing part is when everyone is on round 3 and I'm still drinking my beer. But, then again, I'm just making it a huge deal in my head. I suppose when everyone's on round 3 I'll just say ''I'm working out after this'' or just be upfront and say ''I like to take it easy, not much of a drinker"

Return to “Legal Employment�