how to add resume job description for biglaw lit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

how to add resume job description for biglaw lit

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:01 am

What exactly are we supposed to write in the two lines in resume job description line for biglaw lit?

i'm just shy of one year in biglaw lit and all i've done is doc review and some motions....do i list all the cases i've worked on? what the hell do i write?

please help, no idea how to update resume for this line

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: how to add resume job description for biglaw lit

Postby rpupkin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:35 am

This may be the minority view, but I don't think you should write anything. Folks generally know what a first-year lit associate does at a big law firm. Just list the position and the law firm. When/if called for an interview, be prepared to talk about what you did.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:15 am

I would make an effort to write at least one line. You shouldn't list case names.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:36 am

I would list the things you have done. What kind of motions, types of cases (are they product liability, securities, contracts?) etc. Not every first year has the same experience. Imagine you're sitting down with an interviewer -- what will their first questions be? "Tell me about your experience at [law firm]." Your resume should answer those questions.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:35 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I would list the things you have done. What kind of motions, types of cases (are they product liability, securities, contracts?) etc. Not every first year has the same experience. Imagine you're sitting down with an interviewer -- what will their first questions be? "Tell me about your experience at [law firm]." Your resume should answer those questions.

No opinion as to the content of resume. But isn't the bolded exactly the first question to expect in an interview? (aside from "how's your day going", etc.)

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:54 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:I would list the things you have done. What kind of motions, types of cases (are they product liability, securities, contracts?) etc. Not every first year has the same experience. Imagine you're sitting down with an interviewer -- what will their first questions be? "Tell me about your experience at [law firm]." Your resume should answer those questions.

No opinion as to the content of resume. But isn't the bolded exactly the first question to expect in an interview? (aside from "how's your day going", etc.)

Yes.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:24 pm

rpupkin wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

Yes.

I think that's what I said?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:53 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

Yes.

I think that's what I said?

Ya... That's on me. I thought you were saying that if folks don't put some details on resume that an an interviewer would somehow be compelled/forced to ask that question.

tfer2222

Bronze

Postby tfer2222 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:12 pm

Did you have to do any research to draft the motions? Or any research memos or anything for anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:35 pm

OP here: yes for both questions! i also took a crack at drafting motions, which senior assocs. would rip apart

did some doc review as well

Return to “Legal Employment�