Verbally Accepted Government Honors, New Big Law Offer. Am I stuck?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Verbally Accepted Government Honors, New Big Law Offer. Am I stuck?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:44 pm

I think it's safe to say that (1) biglaw and fed government each have different benefits and drawbacks, which by definition means some people are better suited to one or the other, but (2) the majority of young attorneys would be happier and have more balanced lives in government.

I do think biglaw associates tend to think of government as some utopia, which is not true. And it's simply not true that there's never a reason to prefer going to a firm.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:54 pm

This is true. Government is not the best place either for a lot of people. There's a lot of bureaucracy involved and I do have to stay 30 minutes extra today for a meeting.

Each place fits different types of lives. I want to get good at what I do but still have plenty of free time to do stupid stuff like write about sports, watch movies, have hobbies, whatever. Some other people prefer to stash associate money for five years to open a business.

To each their own. People just need to research both and see what fits best.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:56 pm

zot1 wrote:This is true. Government is not the best place either for a lot of people. There's a lot of bureaucracy involved and I do have to stay 30 minutes extra today for a meeting.

Each place fits different types of lives. I want to get good at what I do but still have plenty of free time to do stupid stuff like write about sports, watch movies, have hobbies, whatever. Some other people prefer to stash associate money for five years to open a business.

To each their own. People just need to research both and see what fits best.

To be clear, I, personally, would swap jobs with you tomorrow.

Return to “Legal Employment�