Politically partisan resumes?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Politically partisan resumes?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:46 am

Deleted double post

Anonymous User

Re: Politically partisan resumes?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am currently a 1L at a T-6 and I am interested in going into DC Big Law after graduation (assuming everything goes well with grades). Before law school I worked in DC for a well-known Republican Congressman for a four years and before that I spent a little over a year doing conservative political campaign work and advocacy. While my resume is fairly partisan and I have worked for at least one semi-controversial figure, I am pretty moderate personally and not very outspoken about my beliefs regardless. Ideally I'd like to work in a policy-related practice area that is relevant to the portfolio I handled on Capitol Hill. I am slightly concerned that my political/partisan resume could be a turn-off for certain employers, especially in a city like DC.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Is working for Congress something that employers in DC will appreciate?
Is there anything I could/should do to tone down the political/partisan nature of my resume?
Are there DC firms that may have a bias against conservative applicants?

Thank you.

I just went through this, and I think I can speak directly to your situation. I worked for awhile before law school with a well known DC figure who is synonymous with one political party. Firms on BOTH SIDES of the aisle really appreciated the experience, so I don't suggest running from yours. I also had a top ACS/FedSoc leadership position on my resume as well as my experience working with a liberal/conservative think tank back in the day.

In sum, my resume very clearly indicated my political preferences. Some of my best callbacks were with partners from the opposite aisle. To hammer the point home, I had 8 screeners, 7 CBs, and 5 offers in DC, which was my secondary market.

You might hear someone saying that Gibson will look skeptically at liberals, and Wilmer will do the same for conservatives. My experience demonstrated that this is not true.

Lastly, keep in mind that some regulatory groups will pretty much only staff from former hill staffers or people with similar political experience. E.g., look at the bios of people in the Covington public policy group.

Similar situation. I am now a first year associate after working for 5 years before law school in DC on the left side of the aisle. Ended up at a historically very conservative big law firm. Most firms will see it as a positive as long as you're not a crazy right winger. It may hurt you at a couple of the most liberal firms, but even Jenner and WilmerHale have Republican partners and associates

Return to “Legal Employment�