Lateral timing Advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral timing Advice

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:30 am

I'm a 3L who will be going to a biglaw firm as a corporate associate in St Louis and I want to end up in Chicago for family.

When and how should I start looking to lateral? Should I utilize a headhunter? One year out, two years out?

nealric

Re: Lateral timing Advice

Postby nealric » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L who will be going to a biglaw firm as a corporate associate in St Louis and I want to end up in Chicago for family.

When and how should I start looking to lateral? Should I utilize a headhunter? One year out, two years out?

You will be most marketable once you are a 3rd year, but it's possible to lateral beforehand. Keep in touch with people and keep your eye out for opportunities.

I would avoid recruiters where possible. They can actually hurt your chances compared to applying through someone you know at the firm. Keep your network in Chicago up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:28 pm

Bump.

dood

Gold

Postby dood » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:38 pm

avoid bad recruiters. good recruiters are very helpful but they dont have time for you until you're desirable. e.g., they wont waste time trying to place a first year corp guy if they can easily place a 4th year patent lit associate. since they get more commission for less work. so yeah, wait a bit and ask for a recommendation from associates who have been placed.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:59 pm

Echo what the people above say. However, there is no reason you cannot start looking day 1. It will be more difficult than as a third year, but if you don't land anything, well, just keep working at your current job. If you do, then goal fulfilled!

misterjames

Bronze

Postby misterjames » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:51 pm

advice i've been hearing: if you know someone at the firm (and I mean truly know them, not some friend's cousin you've never met before), then reach out and ask if they can help. if you don't know anyone, that's where a good recruiter can help.

Return to “Legal Employment�