Time management as a lawyer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Baconbits

New

Time management as a lawyer

Postby Baconbits » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:53 am

Hello.

So every now and then I hear about the sleep deprived lawyer, the overworked the lawyer, the this, that, the whatever. Spending a bazillion hours...

Let me just state my opinion, which is that if you cannot complete your stuff in between the hours of lets say like 11-4 3 days a week or so, you shouldn't be burning excess to fit in for a couple reasons.

1. There are people who better at your job than you and deserve to be there, instead of you.
2. There are people who are more like you doing other jobs and you will be more happy there, instead of where you are.

IMO 20 hours is the absolute max... that a person can really work a week, let alone... anything else... I mean there's only 24 hours in a day? It's kind of like people who want to get up earlier and earlier and earlier, well guess what this whole thing called time is like well think about it

Like if you get up at 5 AM and your one of those types, well I'm sorry but human biology is currently such that you are absolutely going to be tired by like 10 PM or so which means you don't get those hours, obviously.

I mean earlier than 5 AM? Again, I'm sorry, but you are basically just going to be considered a night owl by time and space and not the "early bird" you so desperately want. That's just night shift, are you a janitor? I guess you are.

My experience in legal profession in both law school and outside of law school, and well, to be honest with the "professional class" generally is the only people who are truly "happy" are the ones who just kind of accept these limitations and work within reason.

My experience with the people who are in the thousand hour category is that they tend to appreciate the things like the money, or, status, or, just, something, or maybe just the sense that this is really a better way to go about things, and so they stick with it as long as they can... but I guess I just am like you know you would still have money and, status, and, plenty of things, at like just a regular old jane or joe at Uncy John's law firm or whatever, and that's where a lot of these people end up anyway.

So what do you all think is a reasonable amount of actual work per week, not just fake filler time stuff, like a reasonable amount of time to invest, because honestly whenever I see absurd hours I just am like... how? Not just... why... but literally how... only 24 hours a day and all that.

AZ123

New

Re: Time management as a lawyer

Postby AZ123 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:37 pm

Good luck telling the partners at your firm that you only plan on working 11-4, 3 days a week.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Postby lawhopeful100 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:45 pm

No one substantively respond to this please

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:09 pm

Best of luck friend.

clshopeful

Bronze

Postby clshopeful » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:16 pm

OP u sound a little triggered by the fact others are billing way more than you...

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:32 pm

lawhopeful100 wrote:No one substantively respond to this please

Even if I wanted to, I'm not even sure how this would be possible

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:34 pm

It's so simple! The answer to Biglaw stress and huge time demands is to simply work less!

What dummies we all are. After all, no lawyer has ever been shown the door for failing to make billing targets!

Minnietron

Silver

Postby Minnietron » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:06 pm

Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:26 pm

Stick to sitting on top of baked potatoes.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:30 pm

Great moments in Modern English:

1599. Shakespeare writes Hamlet

1611. Church of England completes translation of King James Bible

1776. Thomas Jefferson drafts Declaration of Independence

1851. Herman Melville writes Moby Dick

2016. Baconbits posts Time Management as a Lawyer

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:40 pm

Lame. Try harder; delete username and start over mate.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:22 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:It's so simple! The answer to Biglaw stress and huge time demands is to simply work less!

What dummies we all are. After all, no lawyer has ever been shown the door for failing to make billing targets!

LMAO :lol:
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

encore1101

Silver

Postby encore1101 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:01 am

This is a good start, OP. Now take a break from writing your manifesto and submit a "Before" writing sample so we can compare the debilitating effects that sleep deprivation has had on your mind.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:12 am

rpupkin wrote:Great moments in Modern English:

1776. Thomas Jefferson drafts Declaration of Independence

1851. Herman Melville writes Moby Dick

2016. Baconbits posts Time Management as a Lawyer

rpupkin sets it up and knocks it down. This post basically settles this entire thread. Thank you rpupkin.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barkschool

Silver

Postby barkschool » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:41 am

Baconbits wrote:Hello.

So every now and then I hear about the sleep deprived lawyer, the overworked the lawyer,the this, that, the whatever.Spending a bazillion hours...

Let me just state my opinion, which is that if you cannot complete your stuff in between the hours of lets say like 11-4 3 days a week or so, you shouldn't be burning excess to fit in for a couple reasons.

1. There are people who better at your job than you and deserve to be there, instead of you.
2. There are people who are more like you doing other jobs and you will be more happy there, instead of where you are.

IMO 20 hours is the absolute max... that a person can really work a week, let alone... anything else... I mean there's only 24 hours in a day?It's kind of like people who want to get up earlier and earlier and earlier, well guess what this whole thing called timeis like well think about it

Like if you get up at 5 AM and your one of those types, well I'm sorry but human biology is currently such that you are absolutely going to be tired by like 10 PM or so which means you don't get those hours, obviously.

I mean earlier than 5 AM? Again, I'm sorry, but you are basically just going to be considered a night owl by time and space and not the "early bird" you so desperately want. That's just night shift, are you a janitor? I guess you are.

My experience in legal profession in both law school and outside of law school, and well, to be honest with the "professional class" generally is the only people who are truly "happy" are the ones who just kind of accept these limitations and work within reason.
My experience with the people who are in the thousand hour category is that they tend to appreciate the things like the money, or, status, or, just, something, or maybe just the sense that this is really a better way to go about things, and so they stick with it as long as they can... but I guess I just am like you know you would still have money and, status, and, plenty of things, at like just a regular old janeor joe at Uncy John's law firm or whatever, and that's where a lot of these people end up anyway.

So what do you all think is a reasonable amount of actual work per week, not just fake filler time stuff, like a reasonable amount of time to invest, because honestly wheneverI see absurd hours I just am like... how? Not just... why... but literally how... only 24 hours a day and all that.

It sounds like it was written by a california 14 yo chewing bubble gum

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:39 am

idgi

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:09 pm

rpupkin wrote:Great moments in Modern English: