Going to firm without 100% offer...advice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Going to firm without 100% offer...advice?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:36 pm

I accepted an offer (only offer) with a firm that no offered around 10 2ls (About 20% of the class) the past summer. However the office I'll be at was 100% offer 10/10. Does anyone have any advice going into a situation like this?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Going to firm without 100% offer...advice?

Postby TLSModBot » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:47 pm

Don't be in the bottom 20%?

Treat the SA like an extended interview. Take work from a variety of people, take your time but make your deadlines. Ask questions if you truly don't understand something but do the legwork first to figure out everything you can on your own (balancing, again, with time pressures which should be few if any for summer assignments). Attend social events; be pleasant and engaging but don't get drunk.

All of this is basic enough stuff but there are always a few who just screw up either through inexperience, thoughtlessness, or just sheer idiocy. With enough forethought you can easily avoid being one of these people. Chances are you'll get an offer anyway so you'll probably be fine so long as you don't noticeably screw up.
Last edited by TLSModBot on Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:47 pm

Do good work, meet your deadlines, be likeable, and try not to stress out too much

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:48 pm

Don't be weird and don't blow deadlines. 9/10 people get offers, it's your offer to lose.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:53 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Don't be in the bottom 20%?

Treat the SA like an extended interview. Take work from a variety of people, take your time but make your deadlines. Ask questions if you truly don't understand something but do the legwork first to figure out everything you can on your own (balancing, again, with time pressures which should be few if any for summer assignments). Attend social events; be pleasant and engaging but don't get drunk.

All of this is basic enough stuff but there are always a few who just screw up either through inexperience, thoughtlessness, or just sheer idiocy. With enough forethought you can easily avoid being one of these people. Chances are you'll get an offer anyway so you'll probably be fine so long as you don't noticeably screw up.

I agree with this and I think Capital sufficiently hedged it but I'll just stress that you should be careful about "taking work from a variety of people." Doing your stuff and meeting deadlines are far more important, IMO. Basically, don't over extend yourself by trying to work with a bunch of people because I've seen people get burned by that. Might end up being ok at a 100% firm but if they're looking for a sacrificial SA then the one who took on too much and didn't do a sufficiently good enough job or blew deadlines will likely be right in their crosshairs.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:00 pm

OK but now for the SECRET inside info:

Most law firms prohibit their attorneys from sleeping with the summers. While maintaining a professional look, try to be as sexy and come-hither as possible so they'll HAVE to invite you back as a full-time associate

Engage the hiring partner in conversation. At one point VERY quickly say "PartnerWhoseGonnaHireMeSaysWhat?"

With at least one witness present, slap a first year associate with a binder. This ancient ritual signifies a formal challenge, by combat, for his seat at the firm. Most first years have not yet earned full armor, so they'll be defenseless but quick. Try using a glaive or trident in the Arena.

navykev

Bronze

Postby navykev » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:29 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:At one point VERY quickly say "PartnerWhoseGonnaHireMeSaysWhat?"

This!

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:34 pm

Meet your deadlines, go to social events, don't complain, be normal, act enthusiastic, and be respectful.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:12 pm

Is getting drunk at a social event really a deal breaker that will lead to a no offer?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiz

Diamond

Postby wiz » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:19 pm

kellyfrost wrote:Is getting drunk at a social event really a deal breaker that will lead to a no offer?

Getting drunk on its own generally isn't a dealbreaker, but doing certain things while drunk can be.

wiz

Diamond

Postby wiz » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:21 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:OK but now for the SECRET inside info:

Most law firms prohibit their attorneys from sleeping with the summers. While maintaining a professional look, try to be as sexy and come-hither as possible so they'll HAVE to invite you back as a full-time associate

Engage the hiring partner in conversation. At one point VERY quickly say "PartnerWhoseGonnaHireMeSaysWhat?"

With at least one witness present, slap a first year associate with a binder. This ancient ritual signifies a formal challenge, by combat, for his seat at the firm. Most first years have not yet earned full armor, so they'll be defenseless but quick. Try using a glaive or trident in the Arena.

What size binder? Will 3'' work (girth not length)?

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:47 am

kellyfrost wrote:Is getting drunk at a social event really a deal breaker that will lead to a no offer?

Nah. If you don't get sloppy and can handle yourself while drunk, you're fine. But people advise against it because a lot of people don't handle themselves well while drunk and end up getting sloppy drunk. Then, you can get yourself into hot water.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:35 am

I've been drunk at many firm-related social events. But I can usually handle myself. I think "don't be among the three drunkest people there" is a more precise rule of thumb.

Return to “Legal Employment�