Recommended NYC Recruiters (Help!!!!)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Recommended NYC Recruiters (Help!!!!)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:14 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations? Field is a black box.

Basically, I'm looking for a recruiter who is able to recruit, and preferably somebody honest (i.e. won't threaten to inform current firm if you don't accept an offer) or have you make up stories about why you're reading or make up having surgery to explain a bad LS grade. These are all things I've experienced so far so clearly I'm bad at picking recruiters.

Please gimme recommendations!!!! Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Recommended NYC Recruiters (Help!!!!)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:59 pm

can you out the recruiters who said some of those things? making up lies for bad grades is nuts

Yardbird

Silver

Postby Yardbird » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations? Field is a black box.

Basically, I'm looking for a recruiter who is able to recruit, and preferably somebody honest (i.e. won't threaten to inform current firm if you don't accept an offer) or have you make up stories about why you're reading or make up having surgery to explain a bad LS grade. These are all things I've experienced so far so clearly I'm bad at picking recruiters.

I think your close parenthesis is off.

dwyf

Bronze

Postby dwyf » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:42 am

stories about why you are reading?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:42 am

I think that's autocorrect for leaving.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:48 am

Tag. Interested.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations? Field is a black box.

Avoid using recruiters unless absolutely necessary. If you must, use one of the known recruiting firms and seek them out. Never use a recruiter who cold calls you unless you can independently verify they have an exclusive deal with a company or firm to recruit for a specific position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:55 pm

One that comes to mind is *deleted*. Basically submits you to places without telling you, which precludes you from applying to a practice group you may want in the future. If you switch then my experience is the recruiter that submits you will reach out to all these places, and say they no longer represent you. They're not saying you changed recruiters so it makes you sound like you did something horrible or are in jail. You're basically in a position of weakness where the recruiter could kill your reputation if they want to. You could pay a few grand to leave on good terms, but you still have to trust them and we're not speaking about legitimate businessmen and businesswomen. They won't sign anything stating they won't use your name, etc. For a thousand or two thousand bucks, you can at least get them to promise they won't keep emailing your resume.

itbdvorm

Gold

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:49 am

nealric wrote:

Avoid using recruiters unless absolutely necessary. If you must, use one of the known recruiting firms and seek them out. Never use a recruiter who cold calls you unless you can independently verify they have an exclusive deal with a company or firm to recruit for a specific position.

This.

No one should use a recruiter for a law firm job in most circumstances. Call a friend from law school.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Postby iliketurtles123 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:41 am

Holy crap. Remembering this for the future

I used a recruiter prior to law school and it helped me get a job. Didn't know legal recruiters were so scummy.

misterjames

Bronze

Postby misterjames » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:49 am

what does everyone here think is better for "splitter" candidates (i.e. great experience, so-so academics): using a recruiter, or sending in cold applications?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:54 am

I've actually had nothing but good experiences with recruiters. They helped with interviews, helped with negotiating offers, helped me find firms I wouldn't have thought about lateraling too.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:44 pm

misterjames wrote:what does everyone here think is better for "splitter" candidates (i.e. great experience, so-so academics): using a recruiter, or sending in cold applications?

Neither. Find someone you know at the firm. If you went to a school where you got in the door with so-so academics, there's a huge probability that you at least have a friend of a friend. Failing that, a recruiter is better than cold. Never send in a cold application- it's pointless.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:26 pm

When people say use a friend, how do you bring this up to your benefit. I have a lot of friends at other firms, but it's embarrassing to talk about and they don't have pull. They've got 1-3 years experience.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When people say use a friend, how do you bring this up to your benefit. I have a lot of friends at other firms, but it's embarrassing to talk about and they don't have pull. They've got 1-3 years experience.

They don't have to have tons of pull. An associate that come to the recruiting department that has an open position and says: "This is a friend of mine from law school and I know he/she is a stand up person" carries plenty of weight. Obviously, it's better if it can come from a powerful partner, but an associate will do if the firm is actively looking.

Law firms get resumes from all over the place. The vast majority are unqualified, those that are qualified they don't know from an ax murderer. Someone who can vouch from the inside can be extremely important to a candidate getting a serious look. Also, a well-regarded associate can make a pitch directly to a partner who is looking- that can be quite valuable as well.

Return to “Legal Employment�