Intern/externing for a federal circuit judge

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Intern/externing for a federal circuit judge

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:19 am

Is it worth it? I have the opportunity to do an externship for one during next semester, but honestly it just seems like a lot of unnecessary extra work. Given that I already have a SA position lined up, would it be stupid of me not to take accept?

hangold

New

Postby hangold » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:05 am

Last edited by hangold on Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

blahblewblah

New

Re: Intern/externing for a federal circuit judge

Postby blahblewblah » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:33 am

hangold wrote:Which circuit?

Lol, the circuit makes absolutely no difference to whether OP should do this or not.

OP, do you have an interest in clerking at some point? 8; so it may be worth it to see what the job is like and make some connections. And regardless, it would probably be a pretty interesting gig (depending on what assignments you get). But if you are adverse to the work and are happy with your SA firm, I would by no means feel obligated.

mjb447

Silver

Re: Intern/externing for a federal circuit judge

Postby mjb447 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:47 am

Find out if you can talk to anyone who's externed for the judge before. These positions vary wildly w/r/t the work you're trusted with, the connections you get to make, and how rewarding the position is: some judges take you right into their inner circle and others may never learn your name.

And no, the circuit you're externing in does not matter.

Return to “Legal Employment�