Are Big Law Associates Entitled To Unemployment Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Are Big Law Associates Entitled To Unemployment

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:37 pm

In addition to the 3 month notice. If so, how much? I know the #'s vary so just general figures/percentages are fine. Also, does a release of all claims/liabilities apply to filing for unemployment?

Anonymous User

Re: Are Big Law Associates Entitled To Unemployment

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:04 pm

I was.

It probably depends on your individual arrangement with the firm and the state you're in, though.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:12 pm

1. You get unemployment benefits if you are terminated through no fault of your own, not if you quit with a severance package.
2. Amount depends on the state. NY is max $425/week. https://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/faq.shtm
3. No you don't have to release claims to get unemployment benefits.

Google for requirements and benefits in your state.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:00 pm

OP: Just a standard economic layoff.

My question is (1) whether unemployment is a legal claim like how an EEOC complaint is a legal claim (because you're made to sign a waiver of all legal claims), and (2) whether signing this agreement means forfeiting unemployment benefits if it's "mutually agreed to" notwithstanding the constructive termination nature of the whole transaction.

Something odd that happened made me think that it must be a substantial amount of money, because as paranoid as this sounds, I've gotten the vibe that someone they hired to help me rebound may have really been hired to ensure I don't file for unemployment benefits. It's unlikely I'll file, but if my suspicion is right then there would have to be substantial money involved for them to go to such lengths.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”