Deloitte

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Deloitte

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:27 am

Any advice for a soon to be JD considering taking a position with Deloitte?

Anonymous User

Re: Deloitte

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:28 pm

As an attorney or as a consultant? If consultant, what level?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As an attorney or as a consultant? If consultant, what level?

Would be a tax consultant under the supervision of other JDs but not in an actual attorney position.

Also curious about potential exit options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:51 pm

Similar situation for me as well, also interested.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:29 pm

Deloitte tax here, jd at the senior level.

Your experience is highly dependent on the group and the people you work with. Deloitte has a ton of lawyers in their tax specialty groups and it can be a great place to work (and preferable to a law firm in some ways). Some lawyers end up stuck doing a ton of accounting work like the CPAs, but you do learn tax a lot better that a way if you are in the weeds. My advice is don't get stuck in compliance too long. Other lawyers do purely consulting/tax controversy work which is more interesting.

Hours and pay are also highly dependent on group you are in. Hope this helps, i can answer more specific questions if you have any to post

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Deloitte tax here, jd at the senior level.

Your experience is highly dependent on the group and the people you work with. Deloitte has a ton of lawyers in their tax specialty groups and it can be a great place to work (and preferable to a law firm in some ways). Some lawyers end up stuck doing a ton of accounting work like the CPAs, but you do learn tax a lot better that a way if you are in the weeds. My advice is don't get stuck in compliance too long. Other lawyers do purely consulting/tax controversy work which is more interesting.

Hours and pay are also highly dependent on group you are in. Hope this helps, i can answer more specific questions if you have any to post

How do you get in those groups? I was told you would need to do accounting type work for a few years before being able to get in other groups, which is really what I'm most fearful and hesitant about.

Also, what exit options do JDs have?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:23 pm

Curious about (1) exit options (2) the recruiting process. Was recruiting/ interviewing more similar to law firm/ OCI (conversational), or more like consulting (case interviews, behavioral)?

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:24 pm

this has been covered pretty extensively before. advice for the big4 applies to deloitte generally

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:59 pm

One plus, Deloitte's benefits are better than most Biglaw firms.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One plus, Deloitte's benefits are better than most Biglaw firms.

(If you exclude compensation.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One plus, Deloitte's benefits are better than most Biglaw firms.

Not sure if this is the case anymore, but when I was there, the 401K matching was 1% and only vested after 5 years.

We had the choice of 3 or 4 health insurance plans. The copays seemed reasonable. I remember paying around 250 for pretty good coverage from Aetna.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:34 am

Exit options for the attorneys included other accounting firms (many of the larger non big4 hire attorneys as well), in house tax manager/director/counsel, and big law or boutique law. Hiring process was like law firms. Pay is substantially lower than big law but you also don't work big law hours and the people can be a little more chill (though there are some groups that are pretty much all jds and the practice is run like big law department).

To get into a specialty group you want at least at Deloitte depends on the hiring needs and whether the group likes you when you do your callback interviews/internship there. Some groups do require heavy accounting knowledge but those ones don't really hire the jds to begin with.

Return to “Legal Employment�