Employment Gap Question on Resume

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Employment Gap Question on Resume

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:50 am

I have a two month gap on my resume. This is due to ending my previous job on the last day of the calendar month and starting my new job 8 weeks later.

Even though my official end date was the last day of the month, I was asked to help out on a couple of minor issues by my boss for the following week after (as a minor favor and I left on good terms).

Secondly, my new job asked me to do some training prior to starting the new job.

Is it unethical if I pull my job forward 1 month and pull the other job back one month?

sweets91

Silver

Re: Employment Gap Question on Resume

Postby sweets91 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a two month gap on my resume. This is due to ending my previous job on the last day of the calendar month and starting my new job 8 weeks later.

Even though my official end date was the last day of the month, I was asked to help out on a couple of minor issues by my boss for the following week after.

Secondly, my new job asked me to do some training prior to starting the new job.

Is it unethical if I pull my job forward 1 month and pull the other job back one month?

Yes, and actually unnecessary. If an interviewer asks you about the gap, give the explanation you just provided here and it should be fine

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:31 pm

Why don't you just list the year and not the months worked? Like Job 1 (2014 - 2015) / Job 2 (2015 - 2016), etc.

k5220

Bronze

Postby k5220 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:56 am

omg don't lie on your resume

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:59 am

k5220 wrote:omg don't lie on your resume

And there's no need to massage the truth. No one will care about a two-month gap on a resume.

delusional

Silver

Postby delusional » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:20 am

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
k5220 wrote:omg don't lie on your resume

And there's no need to massage the truth. No one will care about a two-month gap on a resume.
Disagree. The issue with the gap is that it could suggest the first job ended involuntarily. If the accurate response is "I had the offer and decided to take some time to refresh between jobs" the gap doesn't matter. If OP was laid off and then took a few weeks to find a job, it's probably better to just use the years so the question doesn't come up.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:07 pm

Having looked at literally thousands of resumes in my pre-legal industry life, no one will notice a two month gap. If they did they will probably think you were taking some time to do whatever (clear your head, etc.). It's very rare to have people with significant work experience who don't have small gaps.

Don't lie on you're resume.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:24 pm

Two month gap is a non-issue.

JenDarby

Diamond

Postby JenDarby » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:30 pm

I have a year long gap because I left off an inconsequential job for space. Not one interviewer has ever brought it up, and nearly every interviewer has discussed the job prior to and after the gap.

2 months is nothing. It's actually pretty common to take a few weeks or so off in between jobs. Most big law people who transitioned in-house to my company took around that much time before starting.

I, personally, would not recommend listing just years. I've had two jobs where I screened resumes and unless you have a VERY long career history (and even maybe then), that's something I might have discarded a resume for since it would have awkwardly stood out. I would not have noticed a 2 month gap, and if I did I would not have cared.

Return to “Legal Employment�