Changing offices during first year

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Changing offices during first year

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:55 am

I'm starting work next month as a first year at a V20. My longtime SO (no plans to get engaged/live together soon) just accepted a job in LA and is moving sometime in early November. All indications is that they want to be in LA for good, so eventually I'd move out there anyway. My firm has a couple CA offices that do a bit of work in my preferred practice group, but i'd likely have to switch to general litigation if I made a move west.

Would it be out of line to give my current office a few months, then ask sometime around when I'd need to register for the July '17 CA bar exam if I could transfer offices next fall? Ultimately my goal is to go in-house in 3-5 years, so such a request and move having negative implications for partner track or something doesn't concern me (I won't make partner anyway haha).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Changing offices during first year

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm starting work next month as a first year at a V20. My longtime SO (no plans to get engaged/live together soon) just accepted a job in LA and is moving sometime in early November. All indications is that they want to be in LA for good, so eventually I'd move out here anyway. My firm has a couple CA offices that do a bit of work in my preferred practice group, but it likely have to switch to general litigation if I made a move west.

Would it be out of line to give my current office a few months, then ask sometime around when I'd need to register for the July '17 CA bar exam if I could transfer offices next fall? Ultimately my goal is to go in-house in 3-5 years, so such a request and move having negative implications for partner track or something doesn't concern me (I won't make partner anyway haha).

I changed offices before I started as a first year. I'd say it makes sense to try to switch now instead of going for a couple of months and then bailing. Might as well start where you want to be, assuming its possible. Not all firms are office transfer-friendly or flexible though.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:28 am

Not to tell you how to live your personal life, but I think you'd have a much stronger case if s/he were your fiance.

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Postby patentlitigatrix » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:50 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Not to tell you how to live your personal life, but I think you'd have a much stronger case if s/he were your fiance.

Yeah, at the risk of seeming like a jerk, if she is your longtime SO, why are there no plans to get engaged/live together soon?

barkschool

Silver

Postby barkschool » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:39 pm

patentlitigatrix wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:Not to tell you how to live your personal life, but I think you'd have a much stronger case if s/he were your fiance.

Yeah, at the risk of seeming like a jerk, if she is your longtime SO, why are there no plans to get engaged/live together soon?

Posting because also curious why you'd move across the country to not marry someone.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:42 pm

barkschool wrote:
patentlitigatrix wrote:

Posting because also curious why you'd move across the country to not marry someone.

Also curious about your personal life.

misterjames

Bronze

Postby misterjames » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:50 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
barkschool wrote:
patentlitigatrix wrote:

Also curious about your personal life.

+1, OP please provide intimate details of your commitment issues

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:54 pm

some people are fine with just dating for long term instead of getting married. I, for instance, have been dating my SO for 5 years. Don't really like the idea of getting married because it's kind of unnecessary -- wouldn't do anything except make a potential breakup a huge deal.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:18 pm

I don't give a crap whether or not OP gets engaged. Simply saying that this is an easier ask if s/he were in fact engaged. i.e. "Is there any possibility to move to the CA office because my Fiance got moved there." versus "my girlfriend/boyfriend moved there and I really want to join them."

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:20 pm

Don't ask unless/until you're prepared to find a job at a new firm if yours says no.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:some people are fine with just dating for long term instead of getting married. I, for instance, have been dating my SO for 5 years. Don't really like the idea of getting married because it's kind of unnecessary -- wouldn't do anything except make a potential breakup a huge deal.

How much does your SO secretly resent you? Just a lot, or is deep-down consuming their entire being?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:38 pm

tyroneslothrop1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:some people are fine with just dating for long term instead of getting married. I, for instance, have been dating my SO for 5 years. Don't really like the idea of getting married because it's kind of unnecessary -- wouldn't do anything except make a potential breakup a huge deal.

How much does your SO secretly resent you? Just a lot, or is deep-down consuming their entire being?

Lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:09 pm

OP here. Glad to hear no one thinks it would be a problem. As for the other questions: I'm in poverty right now, so I feel like I shouldn't get married until I'm at least poor.

In all seriousness, we've been dating since before college and both just like what we've got going on now. No need to change it up, though it's plausible that a move to CA would lead to us living together. Marriage is more of a matter of we don't want to get married before we're a certain age and are in better places financially.

Thanks for all the advice!

Return to “Legal Employment�