Salary negotiations after accepting??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Salary negotiations after accepting??

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:16 pm

I recently quit my job and accepted a position at another firm. The new firm is one of those 1000 attorney firm in a major market that is known to pay half biglaw (90K to 130).

The offer in the email reads my salary was based on the firms pay scale based on how many years the offeree was in practice. I got the lower end of the deal as a junior and got offered a little below 100K. A quick glance on glassdoor says 95k to 120K. Is this something that could be negotiated especially after accepting? I have another offer pending for 120K in an undesirable city.

Anonymous User

Re: Salary negotiations after accepting??

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recently quit my job and accepted a position at another firm. The new firm is one of those 1000 attorney firm in a major market that is known to pay half biglaw (90K to 130).

The offer in the email reads my salary was based on the firms pay scale based on how many years the offeree was in practice. I got the lower end of the deal as a junior and got offered a little below 100K. A quick glance on glassdoor says 95k to 120K. Is this something that could be negotiated especially after accepting? I have another offer pending for 120K in an undesirable city.

Is there any reason why you didn't look at Glassdoor before accepting? I imagine you've lost all leverage if you already quit your job and accepted their offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:19 pm

Well the glass door seems accurate. It was 90 to 115. Im guessing first to second year gets 90 to 95 and third year gets 100 to 110. I guess I can do the shitty thing of renegging on the offer but I dont like the location of the 120K. Is there anyway I can use this as leverage?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well the glass door seems accurate. It was 90 to 115. Im guessing first to second year gets 90 to 95 and third year gets 100 to 110. I guess I can do the shitty thing of renegging on the offer but I dont like the location of the 120K. Is there anyway I can use this as leverage?

Is the location of the 120k somewhere other than your bank account?

ggocat

Gold

Postby ggocat » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:59 pm

So you knew what the salary offer was and accepted, and now you want more?

I wouldn't try it unless your plan, should they say no, is to renege and take the $120k offer.

Even if they up your salary a bit, you're going to get off on the wrong foot. I worked with a guy who tried to negotiate a higher salary after he was hired. The employer said no. The employee worked there anyway. But his supervisors who knew of his request didn't see him in a positive light (though of course there are other issues because someone who tries what he did and what you're suggesting probably has poor understanding of general interactions between employee and employer).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:02 pm

OP here. I should have known better but the circumstances were such that I had to accept the offer because they needed me to start right away or they were going to give it to someone else and my previous firm was about to invest a lot of resources in me for training. Leaving asap was the most considerate thing I could have done for my previous firm. I did not have the higher offer at the time. That came literally 2 days after I accepted.

Return to “Legal Employment�