Visit Friend during Firm Interview?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Peralin

New

Visit Friend during Firm Interview?

Postby Peralin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:58 am

If I have a friend at the firm where I'm interviewing, is it acceptable and/or expected that I visit my friend either immediately before or after my interview? He's one of my former classmates, and he is not going to be part of the interview. On one hand, it seems like it would be disrespectful to not stop by and say hi while I'm in town visiting the firm, especially since he knows I'm going to be there and has talked to me about life at the firm. On the other hand, it would also be pretty awkward to end the interview and then hang around to visit my friend. It's a tough dilemma, but I'm sure this happens all the time. What do you think is the expected/most appropriate thing to do in this situation?

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Re: Visit Friend during Firm Interview?

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:02 pm

Not all that tough. Text him. Grab coffee after or before the interview. But don't make it a thing with recruiting (ie, Don't stay in the office past your interview. Instead, leave the building like every other candidate and have the friend come and get you.)

AZ123

New

Postby AZ123 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:26 pm

I knew someone at a firm I interviewed with, and I just mentioned to the recruiting coordinator before leaving that I wanted to stop by and say hi to her. Wasn't a problem at all. Just be normal about it and it will be fine.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Postby foregetaboutdre » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:43 pm

AZ123 wrote:I knew someone at a firm I interviewed with, and I just mentioned to the recruiting coordinator before leaving that I wanted to stop by and say hi to her. Wasn't a problem at all. Just be normal about it and it will be fine.

When in doubt TCR is don't be a weirdo. Do one of two things:

1. Mention to recruiting you want to pop in and say hi.

2. Schedule coffee/lunch after the interview with your friend.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:47 pm

Just shoot your friend an email and see if/when they are available.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:40 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:Not all that tough. Text him. Grab coffee after or before the interview. But don't make it a thing with recruiting (ie, Don't stay in the office past your interview. Instead, leave the building like every other candidate and have the friend come and get you.)

Agree with this.

Return to “Legal Employment�