What would you say to mid-sized firms that do basically everything?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What would you say to mid-sized firms that do basically everything?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:15 pm

Some firms do employment, corporate, international, real estate, etc everything. I can't say just I want to do everything as long as it's transactional work. My guess is that 1st asso would get involved in most of the firm's practices. Is there any fancy way to say it?

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: What would you say to mid-sized firms that do basically everything?

Postby rpupkin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Some firms do employment, corporate, international, real estate, etc everything. I can't say just I want to do everything as long as it's transactional work. My guess is that 1st asso would get involved in most of the firm's practices. Is there any fancy way to say it?

Why can't you say the bolded? It seems like a reasonable thing to say for a prospective first-year associate who is interviewing at a small firm with a varied transactional practice.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Postby BmoreOrLess » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:24 pm

I think that's actually easier than coming up with BS reasons for why you want some specific practice area that you've never worked in.

Just say something like "I know I want transactional work because of X,Y, and Z, but I really like that your firm has varied practice areas within transactional practice so I can explore them and get broad experience before I settle down in a specific group," and then ask a question about how they rotate you through them or something related.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:32 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:I think that's actually easier than coming up with BS reasons for why you want some specific practice area that you've never worked in.

Just say something like "I know I want transactional work because of X,Y, and Z, but I really like that your firm has varied practice areas within transactional practice so I can explore them and get broad experience before I settle down in a specific group," and then ask a question about how they rotate you through them or something related.

I am not OP but Great! Thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment�