"White Shoe" Firm ...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"White Shoe" Firm ...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Which are the White Shoe Firms (I see the list on Wikipedia... but it's Wikipedia) and does the term have any great significance today in distinguishing firms?

Especially when firms such as Reed Smith, Proskauer Rose and Squire Patton Boggs are on the "new list" on Wiki and firms such as Akin Gump, Jones Day, Paul Hastings and Williams & Connoly are left off it. What is the significance nowadays (if any)?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: "White Shoe" Firm ...

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which are the White Shoe Firms (I see the list on Wikipedia... but it's Wikipedia) and does the term have any great significance today in distinguishing firms?

Especially when firms such as Reed Smith, Proskauer Rose and Squire Patton Boggs are on the "new list" on Wiki and firms such as Akin Gump, Jones Day, Paul Hastings and Williams & Connoly are left off it. What is the significance nowadays (if any)?

Amazing :lol:
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:02 pm

Phooey, I say, on all white-shoe college boys who edit their campus literary magazines. Give me an honest con man any day.

wiz

Diamond

Postby wiz » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:15 pm

White shoe > no shoe > "new" white shoe.

The significance of white shoe is that they have the most established, institutional relationships and the best clients, so they're the best firms to work for. Shoeless firms are entrepreneurial, so they can get good deals, too, if they know how to build their own shoe brand and get sponsors. I would try to avoid "new" white shoe firms since they're basically imposters trying to make up for their footwear inadequacies.
Last edited by wiz on Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:59 pm

wiz wrote:White shoe > no shoe > "new" white shoe.

The significance of white shoe is that they have the best established, institutional relationships and have the best clients, so they're the best firms to work for. Shoeless firms are entrepreneurial, so they can get good deals, too, if they know how to build their own shoe brand and get sponsors. I would try to avoid "new" white shoe firms since they're basically imposters trying to make up for their footwear inadequacies.

TCR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:51 am

Can anyone answer this in a non TLS/ serious way haha?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone answer this in a non TLS/ serious way haha?

In the late nineteenth century, the state of New York passed a law that required all lawyers to wear black shoes during business hours. The law angered many attorneys. Lawyers at a few firms in NYC protested by wearing white shoes to work and court. Because the law was so unpopular, the firms that participated in this protest saw an instant surge in popularity and prestige, and the top law school graduates all flocked to those firms. Within two years, nine of the ten firms on The New York Herald's annual "law firm honor roll"—which was the Vault of its day—were firms that had participated in the white-shoe protest. The term "White Shoe Law Firm" was born.

Today, the term "white shoe law firm" has taken on a broader meaning, but the gating criteria are rooted in history. Although the formula is complex, the basic idea is that any firm that combines a social conscience with prestige is a "white shoe" firm. But a big law firm (even a commercially successful big law firm) that doesn't have a social conscience—i.e., the kind of firm that would have dutifully complied with New York's infamous black shoe law—does not get the "white shoe" label.

I hope that answers your question.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:51 pm

What brand should my white shoes be?

Toni V

Bronze

Postby Toni V » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:00 pm

Jimmy Choo

denmarkwahlberg

New

Postby denmarkwahlberg » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:17 pm

I have yet to see white shoes worn at such firms

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:38 pm

mrs.miawallace

New

Postby mrs.miawallace » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:48 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone answer this in a non TLS/ serious way haha?

In the late nineteenth century, the state of New York passed a law that required all lawyers to wear black shoes during business hours. The law angered many attorneys. Lawyers at a few firms in NYC protested by wearing white shoes to work and court. Because the law was so unpopular, the firms that participated in this protest saw an instant surge in popularity and prestige, and the top law school graduates all flocked to those firms. Within two years, nine of the ten firms on The New York Herald's annual "law firm honor roll"—which was the Vault of its day—were firms that had participated in the white-shoe protest. The term "White Shoe Law Firm" was born.

Today, the term "white shoe law firm" has taken on a broader meaning, but the gating criteria are rooted in history. Although the formula is complex, the basic idea is that any firm that combines a social conscience with prestige is a "white shoe" firm. But a big law firm (even a commercially successful big law firm) that doesn't have a social conscience—i.e., the kind of firm that would have dutifully complied with New York's infamous black shoe law—does not get the "white shoe" label.

I hope that answers your question.

transaction people in white shoe firms, wear designer white shoe, despite that wearing white shoe is considered a faux pas after Labor Day.
Litigation people wear flip-flops in the office, they don't give a shit so long as they are R&W

Mr. Fancy

Silver

Postby Mr. Fancy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:52 pm

wiz wrote:White shoe > no shoe > "new" white shoe.

The significance of white shoe is that they have the most established, institutional relationships and the best clients, so they're the best firms to work for. Shoeless firms are entrepreneurial, so they can get good deals, too, if they know how to build their own shoe brand and get sponsors. I would try to avoid "new" white shoe firms since they're basically imposters trying to make up for their footwear inadequacies.

New money people are the worst. Old money ftw

Return to “Legal Employment?