Firms eliminating partners' corner offices because millenials are intimidated

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
misterjames

Bronze

Firms eliminating partners' corner offices because millenials are intimidated

Postby misterjames » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:54 am

https://bol.bna.com/corner-offices-once ... law-firms/

“It’s an idea that’s been gaining currency across the country for a number of years, as law firms seek to eliminate unnecessary hierarchical structure and appeal to millennials: the lowliest first-year associate is getting the same exact office as the biggest rainmaker at some firms, which isn’t quite how law firms used to work...We have heard from a number of associates that it can be off-putting to knock on a corner office,” said Learner. “And the notion is, ‘We’re all in on this together,’ and I don’t need to go to the corner office to ask a senior partner a question. It makes it, from a workplace standpoint, a little more open.”

i can't believe this is a thing. sometimes i really feel out of touch with my generation. thoughts?

almondjoy

Bronze

Re: Firms eliminating partners' corner offices because millenials are intimidated

Postby almondjoy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:04 am

But what do us associates have to aspire to if the promise of a corner office is taken from us?

bwh8813

Bronze

Re: Firms eliminating partners' corner offices because millenials are intimidated

Postby bwh8813 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:26 am

But where are the safe spaces?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:30 am

This is purely cost-cutting, the fee fees of millennials does not factor into the decision-making process at all except as an excuse to get partners to accept it.

It's BS though. I'd rather make a little less money and have a swank-ass office (considering I'd practically be living there anyway)

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Postby unlicensedpotato » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:34 am

Yeah this is solely about lower overhead. Then firms turn around and tell law students that they're doing it to benefit them. All of the firms on that list are getting financially squeezed to some extent.

shock259

Gold

Postby shock259 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:52 pm

We just moved to a new office and every partner/counsel/associate has the same size office. But pretty sure they did it so 1) they could squeeze more people in and 2) they don't have to deal with everyone bitching about office assignments and who gets the corner office.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:15 pm

If anything it's about the fee fees of partners. I've seen some straight up mean girls shit go down because of partner offices. It seems like my firm has a policy that the bigger deal partner can make another partner move offices just because the bigger rainmaker wanted his office.

This lead to one time where they each stole the next beat office for the partner who in it. So 5 partners moved offices just because one guy with 5 cases wanted a corner that a guy who was slow had. The slow guy lateralled out 5 months later.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:22 pm

next up: no more offices for associates because "millenials are collaborative and have a strong sense of community."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:25 pm

dabigchina wrote:next up: no more offices for associates because "millenials are collaborative and have a strong sense of community."

My firm recently moved to a new office. The managing partner was dead serious when he suggested this. The associate backlash was massive.

bwh8813

Bronze

Postby bwh8813 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:27 pm

dabigchina wrote:next up: no more offices for associates because "millenials are collaborative and have a strong sense of community."

I can't wait to sit on barstools at a high-top table with 3-5 other associates and just our laptops. Will their be nap pods? Bean bags at least?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:27 pm

This... is already a thing. See Paul Hasting's "end zone"initiative.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Postby unlicensedpotato » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:27 pm

I say everyone just works in a seat on a bus driving around in Manhattan all day. You know, so it's fair.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:30 pm

Real question: does anyone actually have a problem with corner offices? Does anyone here even know someone who has a problem with corner offices? I'm a millennial, fit my generation's profile pretty well (for better or for worse), and the thought never occurred to me that there's something problematic about corner offices. And, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm still really struggling to figure out what the issue is.

I'm not trying to argue that there isn't a problem with corner offices. I just genuinely want to know if this is something that some people legitimately don't like.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:40 pm

I see more drama over who has the best and comfiest office chair than who has the best office.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Real question: does anyone actually have a problem with corner offices? Does anyone here even know someone who has a problem with corner offices? I'm a millennial, fit my generation's profile pretty well (for better or for worse), and the thought never occurred to me that there's something problematic about corner offices. And, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm still really struggling to figure out what the issue is.

I'm not trying to argue that there isn't a problem with corner offices. I just genuinely want to know if this is something that some people legitimately don't like.

I think its psychologists/commentators/Buzzfeed who trump up the "ideals" of a millennial, then partners/boomers/non-millennials latch onto those ideas and then decide that those things (like no corner offices) are what we want.

Quite frankly, I'd feel more awkward if my office was the same size as a partners. Most won't care, but the ones that do care will be sure to let you know how you haven't "earned" said office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Real question: does anyone actually have a problem with corner offices? Does anyone here even know someone who has a problem with corner offices? I'm a millennial, fit my generation's profile pretty well (for better or for worse), and the thought never occurred to me that there's something problematic about corner offices. And, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm still really struggling to figure out what the issue is.

No, I don't know anyone who cares. I think people are right -- managing partner sees some buzzfeed article shared on whatever that millenials hate hierarchy so they just implement stuff like this without asking anyone. In my building the best offices are actually in the middle of each cardinal direction. Corner offices are for junior partners.

misterjames

Bronze

Postby misterjames » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:58 pm

well the partner quoted in the article allegedly heard from "a number of associates" that they were put off from approaching a partner in a corner office. that's honestly one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:09 pm

I tend to think that if you're intimidated to approach a partner, them changing offices isn't going to make a difference, but that could just be me.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:14 pm

Too late. Paul Hastings--as part of its ongoing competition with Jones Day and Quinn Emanuel for the title of "cheapest big law firm"--has done precisely what you predicted:

http://abovethelaw.com/2015/08/more-bad ... ssociates/

“I really do believe first- and second-years will benefit from true collaboration—they feed off each other,” said Barry Brooks, the chair of the firm’s New York office.

FuturePaulClement

New

Postby FuturePaulClement » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:18 pm

This will be your average SA/partner meeting in a few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsgc0k594Js

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:25 pm

misterjames wrote:

well the partner quoted in the article allegedly heard from "a number of associates" that they were put off from approaching a partner in a corner office. that's honestly one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard.

Twist: that number is zero. But technically, zero is a number. Alternatively, its' not the fact that the partner is in a corner office. It's who that partner is that makes associates put off from approaching them.

Seriously though, it seems to be a trend whenever an employer downsizes office space or eliminates private offices that they are just doing what "millenials want." It's a fig leaf. Nobody wants to admit they are cost cutting- that woudl be an admission of weakness. So they quote some mumbo jumbo about millenial preference and pretend like its part of modernizing to attract talent.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:16 pm

nealric wrote:Seriously though, it seems to be a trend whenever an employer downsizes office space or eliminates private offices that they are just doing what "millenials want." It's a fig leaf. Nobody wants to admit they are cost cutting- that woudl be an admission of weakness. So they quote some mumbo jumbo about millenial preference and pretend like its part of modernizing to attract talent.

my personal favorite is when management talks about how millenials care more about diversity/public service than they do about money in order to justify bad pay.

lurklaw

Silver

Postby lurklaw » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:28 pm

rpupkin wrote:

Too late. Paul Hastings--as part of its ongoing competition with Jones Day and Quinn Emanuel for the title of "cheapest big law firm"--has done precisely what you predicted:

“I really do believe first- and second-years will benefit from true collaboration—they feed off each other,” said Barry Brooks, the chair of the firm’s New York office.

You omitted my favorite part of the Barry Brooks quote: “I don’t feel bad about it.”

Minnietron

Silver

Postby Minnietron » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:31 pm

rpupkin wrote:

He's 100% correct. Research points towards these spaces being great for employee productivity and morale. /s
http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/the-open-office-trap
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Postby patentlitigatrix » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:12 pm

Attorneys sharing offices or open spaces is obviously a risk management issue, too.

Return to “Legal Employment?