Questioning my entire life

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Questioning my entire life

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:03 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:reputable Tier 4 school

I'll take "Does Not Exist" for $600, Alex.

yea what exactly is this, and why did you borrow $150,000 to get a degree from it

not trying to strike you when you're down, OP, just thinking that there might be some more pressing issues and more questionable decisions than "would I still enjoy being a prosecutor?" Basically, at this point you should be taking and pursuing any legal job you could get.

Exactly. OP, if you have median grades from a Tier 4 school, I'm not sure you can afford to be picky.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:04 am

OP here again.

So I guess "Taken 7 trials to verdict" for example would be acceptable on the resume line. Not necessarily saying what type of trials they are but noting that I do have trial experience no?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:12 am

Also, I can't imagine that a small firm isn't going to ask you to talk about your trial experience in an interview, so I'm not sure how long you can hide the ball. Then again, it's not like they're going to expect a 3L to have jury trial experience.

You'll also need a good answer as to why you don't want to be a prosecutor if your whole resume is geared toward DA work. A small firm might wonder if you're indecisive or flighty (or overly dramatic...)

Are you sure you're just not in a funk and thinking the grass is greener? Most small firms aren't going to pay you a ton either, and are just as likely to require some late nights.

Anonymous User wrote:Just rethinking my entire life's plan is all. I'm thinking I'm definitely going to start my own firm. Create jobs and give back to the needy when the revenue starts flowing in. There's more ways to make a difference in this world aside from a broken justice system

This is really, really dumb.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here again.

So I guess "Taken 7 trials to verdict" for example would be acceptable on the resume line. Not necessarily saying what type of trials they are but noting that I do have trial experience no?

"Taken" is a weird verb. "First-chaired 7 trials" or "conducted 7 trials" would probably sound better. Not sure "to verdict" is really necessary - even if a jury hangs you did the trial. "First-chaired 7 misdemeanor trials" would probably be better, too (unless they were felonies of course) - I feel like the less specific you are the more it raises questions in people's minds (misdemeanor or felony? First chair or second chair? Jury or bench trials?).

Edit: or maybe "tried 7 misdemeanors."

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:41 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:16 pm

Thank you all so much for the responses. There's some really informative stuff here. I sense that this is still a very pessimistic board generally speaking however. Anyway, I was at a networking event this evening, many attorneys were telling me that my trial experience thus far will take me far in the application process. I'm hoping by attending thsee events, I can sell myself on my prosecuting experience and network my way into a job

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:03 am

A few years ago people were telling you not to take out six figures of debt to go to a TTTT school and you were insisting that it was all good because you were a lifelong prosecutor. Maybe the board isn't overly pessimistic

andythefir

Silver

Postby andythefir » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:21 am

I suppose it's possible that working for a small firm won't be a objectively calamitous decision. You might have taken <$40k in loans, the market might pay weirdly well for small firms, and so on. But I'd say it's a 99% chance that PSLF is your only real chance at making it out financially.

New

Postby Offline » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:27 am

i do liability work for insurance carriers. they have a fee structure and tell you how to bill. i find myself angrier in general and turn into an asshole who doesnt give a shit. it's just such a depressing lifestyle.

lawyers are miserable because insurance defense is a part of their lives.

Return to “Legal Employment�