milbank--new york

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

milbank--new york

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:18 pm

what are people's thoughts on milbank if you're not heading there for project finance? still a solid choice for NY? seems to have a good history of 100 percent offers.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: milbank--new york

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:31 pm

Top notch restructuring group, pretty good typical corporate work. Their big clients are financial institutions so those would likely be your best in-house options. Not a pioneer but very much a copycat white shoe firm. I think they were the second or third firm to match when Cravath went to 180.

MilbankAlum

New

Postby MilbankAlum » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:what are people's thoughts on milbank if you're not heading there for project finance? still a solid choice for NY? seems to have a good history of 100 percent offers.

PF group is overblown. Restructuring is top notch. Litigation is OK, but they're building out their white collar practice with some heavy hitters. Lev fin is incredibly solid, but primarily emphasize middle market. M&A is practically non-existent. T&S group does some of the most complex and interesting work on the Street. Capital markets group is dope. If you have an interest in LatAm or international work, or doing stuff in the distressed space, this is a great firm to be at. If you don't really care, then whatever. Firm is excellent, routinely goes toe to toe with V10s in the finance space, exit ops are great, and you'll still have a better summer experience than almost every other summer associate. Great work, great people.

And yeah, 100% offer rate. They do cold offer people, but they don't pull the offer if you accept the cold offer, and almost everyone still ends up happy. Had I not left for banking, I'd still be there.

ozymandius

New

Postby ozymandius » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:19 am

Nothing wrong with the post above mine, but I do want to chime in to say that lev fin is a horrific practice, so the fact that Milbank's lev fin group is "solid," and thereore there's a non-trivial possibility that you could end up doing that work, should be considered a downside.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:26 am

ozymandius wrote:Nothing wrong with the post above mine, but I do want to chime in to say that lev fin is a horrific practice, so the fact that Milbank's lev fin group is "solid," and thereore there's a non-trivial possibility that you could end up doing that work, should be considered a downside.

Worth adding to this that they just implemented a rotation system for the Corporate groups. I believe 3 rotations for 6 months each so that should lessen the odds of ending up in a shitty group.

MilbankAlum

New

Postby MilbankAlum » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:32 am

ozymandius wrote:Nothing wrong with the post above mine, but I do want to chime in to say that lev fin is a horrific practice, so the fact that Milbank's lev fin group is "solid," and thereore there's a non-trivial possibility that you could end up doing that work, should be considered a downside.

The group is in somewhat high demand among summer associates, and they are pretty selective about who they take from the summer program. As an alum of it, I'm biased, but there is literally zero chance that you will end up doing Lev Fin if you don't want to do Lev Fin. Same with PF. The groups you might get slotted into are basically Alt Investments, Securities, and Litigation.

Return to “Legal Employment�