nealric wrote:Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the advice, all. I'm the first to realize I screwed up with my decision-making here. I should've followed up with the second firm before assuming anything.
I decided to roll the dice with the first firm rather than reneging. Spoke with the career services, and they indicated it'd be very feasible to transfer markets later on. They emphasized how reputation matters in the business, and I agree.
Hard to let the an ideal situation pass - again, the practice area and location - but it is what it is, I guess. I'm also afraid that the first firm will call the second if I ever renege. I'd rather have one offer that's 100% secure than try to juggle in this situation.
Lol at listening to career services. They are just trying to convince you to make that choice because they are looking out for the school- they are not looking out for you. They don't have to work for years in the wrong city.
Unless you relied on personal connections to get the first offer, nobody is even going to remember you reneged 6 months from now except for maybe the recruiting people.
Yeah, this is stupid. Maybe if it was your 1L summer it wouldn't be so bad, but you're supposed to bank on getting an offer at your 2L summer firm... which determines where you work post-graduation. You want to work somewhere you're not interested in for 2-3 years just so you don't piss off some person in recruiting/HR? Cray.