Accepted Offer - Dream Offer Came Along Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accepted Offer - Dream Offer Came Along

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:23 pm

2L at T20 here. I'm just grateful to have a V100 gig lined up for next summer. Here's my situation: I interviewed with my dream firm (in terms of market preference and practice group) in a secondary market a few weeks ago. I reiceived an offer from another firm in a different market as well. Thinking I didn't get my dream firm, I accepted the other one. A few days ago, my dream firm, out of nowhere, called me to give me an offer.

I'm thinking about reneging on the accepted offer. First, I have no doubt that this will burn bridges and is a terrible business. So, my question is this - how to best handle this? Call the recruiter? Email? Also, any CF ramifications about this?

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Accepted Offer - Dream Offer Came Along

Post by rpupkin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:31 pm

Accept the "dream" offer. Call the recruiter and apologize. There are no C&F ramifications.

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:36 pm

It's in a different market too, so the bridge burning isn't too bad. These things happen. Someone else out there will be very happy to get the position.

Internetdan

New

Post by Internetdan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:52 pm

Tears are in my eyes I'm so happy for you. The dream firm.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L at T20 here. I'm just grateful to have a V100 gig lined up for next summer. Here's my situation: I interviewed with my dream firm (in terms of market preference and practice group) in a secondary market a few weeks ago. I reiceived an offer from another firm in a different market as well. Thinking I didn't get my dream firm, I accepted the other one. A few days ago, my dream firm, out of nowhere, called me to give me an offer.

I'm thinking about reneging on the accepted offer. First, I have no doubt that this will burn bridges and is a terrible business. So, my question is this - how to best handle this? Call the recruiter? Email? Also, any CF ramifications about this?
Well you're either an idiot or a liar. You are supposed to, and it's common courtesy, to email all the firms you had CBs with and inform them when you accept an offer. So now you're on TLS asking us to justify your shitty behavior.

No, there is no CF ramifications (unless the firm is really pissed at you and file something to the ABA, but that's unheard of). Immediately call the recruiter and inform them of your shortcomings as a human being, and that you're gonna have to renege on their gracious offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:34 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L at T20 here. I'm just grateful to have a V100 gig lined up for next summer. Here's my situation: I interviewed with my dream firm (in terms of market preference and practice group) in a secondary market a few weeks ago. I reiceived an offer from another firm in a different market as well. Thinking I didn't get my dream firm, I accepted the other one. A few days ago, my dream firm, out of nowhere, called me to give me an offer.

Well you're either an idiot or a liar. You are supposed to, and it's common courtesy, to email all the firms you had CBs with and inform them when you accept an offer. So now you're on TLS asking us to justify your shitty behavior.

No, there is no CF ramifications (unless the firm is really pissed at you and file something to the ABA, but that's unheard of). Immediately call the recruiter and inform them of your shortcomings as a human being, and that you're gonna have to renege on their gracious offer.
Dude, calm the fuck down. The fact that he didn't email a firm that went radio silence on him doesn't make him a horrible human being. Law firms can't even be bothered to tell people they've been dinged sometimes, and it sounds like he assumed that's what happened here.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:36 pm

estefanchanning wrote:

You sound pleasant.

Sgtpeppernyc

Bronze

Post by Sgtpeppernyc » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:39 pm

You may consider asking career services. I had this same situation (granted with a 1L non-firm internship) and they said "well ... you shouldn't have accepted. But, it's _______ - you can't pass that up." That said, career services will probably air towards caution, because it reflects somewhat poorly on them.

The biggest risk for you is that the new firm finds out where you chose to go and reach out to them. It's somewhat unlikely (esp. since you won't have that listed publicly), and even if they did, it's unclear what the "dream" firm would do. Certainly never heard of that happening, but just thought you should consider that possibility.

Sgtpeppernyc

Bronze

Post by Sgtpeppernyc » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:41 pm

estefanchanning wrote:

This guy is the literal worst. OP, your situation is not ideal, but is also not a disaster.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:46 pm

Lol, you guys are a joke. There is literally no difference between this guy and another poster on this forum who had 2 offers and accepted both. Essentially OP is doing the same, yet you're cutting him slack because...he seems remorseful?

There is literally zero reason as to why he ended up in this position. He put himself there, and he needs to learn his lesson. He's entering a profession of ethics, honesty, transparency, and doing the right thing. If he can't manage to accept an offer properly, then really, lol. I don't feel bad for the firm, nor anyone that's involved in this situation to be honest. But OP simply sucks for doing this, and I have no sympathy for him. How's that wrong?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:50 pm

Sgtpeppernyc wrote:That said, career services will probably air towards caution, because it reflects somewhat poorly on them.
air
air
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:52 pm

estefanchanning wrote:Lol, you guys are a joke. There is literally no difference between this guy and another poster on this forum who had 2 offers and accepted both. Essentially OP is doing the same, yet you're cutting him slack because...he seems remorseful?

There is literally zero reason as to why he ended up in this position. He put himself there, and he needs to learn his lesson. He's entering a profession of ethics, honesty, transparency, and doing the right thing. If he can't manage to accept an offer properly, then really, lol. I don't feel bad for the firm, nor anyone that's involved in this situation to be honest. But OP simply sucks for doing this, and I have no sympathy for him. How's that wrong?
Mistakes happen

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:55 pm

estefanchanning wrote:Lol, you guys are a joke. There is literally no difference between this guy and another poster on this forum who had 2 offers and accepted both. Essentially OP is doing the same, yet you're cutting him slack because...he seems remorseful?

Nah, you're just overreacting like any other oci-deprived 2L would.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:55 pm

OP made a dumb assumption/was dumb not to double-check on the outstanding interview. The other person literally panicked on a phone call and accepted on the spot when there was no need to do that. I'm not going to debate to what extent it was worse, but they are definitely not equivalent.

The other poster also doubled down and said some dumb shit.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:58 pm

Renege! You owe them NOTHING!

These firms will HAPPILY rescind offers to summers and graduating 3Ls. Happily!

They will also happily terminate you for your hours being too low.

In short: none of these firms feel any loyalty to their associates, so they are owed none in return.

Also, no one will remember or care in 3 years.

Go for the dream job.
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:00 pm

The idea that lawyers are somehow more "ethical" than any other profession is laughable.

You guys owe these firms exactly zero. They will screw entire classes to drive up profits per partner, will destroy your lives with long hours and then terminate you when you can't bill enough. I've observed all of this happen over the past 6 years since graduation.

OP should renege. You only live once, friend.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:03 pm

bk1 wrote:

OP made a dumb assumption/was dumb not to double-check on the outstanding interview. The other person literally panicked on a phone call and accepted on the spot when there was no need to do that. I'm not going to debate to what extent it was worse, but they are definitely not equivalent.

Oh okay. So this guy made an honest mistake by "forgetting" to call his dream firm after accepting an offer. Sounds legit.

Had he come here and said "I purposefully didn't call me dream firm just to see what would happen, knowing I would renege if I got an offer," then I might have been less of an ass. But he didn't, and ergo the two posters are the same to me.

This is not a "mistake". And if it is, then OP is absentminded and will struggle in biglaw. good luck. This is a calculated move by OP, and now he feels bad, and he wants us to make him feel better. No thanks.

Also, to those saying "you owe law firms nothing" or "lawyers are unethical bla bla." Your comments are laughable. Yes law firms are shitty and will fire you in a heartbeat, but why should that affect your integrity? Much like OP, you're trying to justify your shitty behavior as a countermeasure against someone else's shitty behavior.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:16 pm

:idea: :idea: ~~Dream Firm!!~~ :idea: :idea:

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:19 pm

:lol:

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:45 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Oh okay. So this guy made an honest mistake by "forgetting" to call his dream firm after accepting an offer. Sounds legit.

Had he come here and said "I purposefully didn't call me dream firm just to see what would happen, knowing I would renege if I got an offer," then I might have been less of an ass. But he didn't, and ergo the two posters are the same to me.

This is not a "mistake". And if it is, then OP is absentminded and will struggle in biglaw. good luck. This is a calculated move by OP, and now he feels bad, and he wants us to make him feel better. No thanks.

Also, to those saying "you owe law firms nothing" or "lawyers are unethical bla bla." Your comments are laughable. Yes law firms are shitty and will fire you in a heartbeat, but why should that affect your integrity? Much like OP, you're trying to justify your shitty behavior as a countermeasure against someone else's shitty behavior.
No. I am arguing OP should pursue his DREEAAAMS (until he finds out the firms are all the same... but that is a different discussion...) and should not let a verbal commitment to an organization that would break its own commitment in a heartbeat (by reneging their offer) prevent them from pursuing a perceived better option

No person or organization deserves your loyalty if they are not going to give you any in return. I watched how all of these firms behaved 2007-2012. It was egregious.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:50 pm

Voyager wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
bk1 wrote:

No. I am arguing OP should pursue his DREEAAAMS (until he finds out the firms are all the same... but that is a different discussion...) and should not let a verbal commitment to an organization that would break its own commitment in a heartbeat (by reneging their offer) prevent them from pursuing a perceived better option

No person or organization deserves your loyalty if they are not going to give you any in return. I watched how all of these firms behaved 2007-2012. It was egregious.
Oh I fully agree with you. OP should go to his dream firm 100%. My point is that he put himself in a shitty position.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:57 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
Oh I fully agree with you. OP should go to his dream firm 100%. My point is that he put himself in a shitty position.
Ah, yes. Certainly true he should have waited to accept in the first place and avoided this predicament entirely. I'm with you on that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:14 pm

OP here. Thanks for the advice, all. I'm the first to realize I screwed up with my decision-making here. I should've followed up with the second firm before assuming anything.

I decided to roll the dice with the first firm rather than reneging. Spoke with the career services, and they indicated it'd be very feasible to transfer markets later on. They emphasized how reputation matters in the business, and I agree.

Hard to let the an ideal situation pass - again, the practice area and location - but it is what it is, I guess. I'm also afraid that the first firm will call the second if I ever renege. I'd rather have one offer that's 100% secure than try to juggle in this situation.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the advice, all. I'm the first to realize I screwed up with my decision-making here. I should've followed up with the second firm before assuming anything.

I decided to roll the dice with the first firm rather than reneging. Spoke with the career services, and they indicated it'd be very feasible to transfer markets later on. They emphasized how reputation matters in the business, and I agree.

Hard to let the an ideal situation pass - again, the practice area and location - but it is what it is, I guess. I'm also afraid that the first firm will call the second if I ever renege. I'd rather have one offer that's 100% secure than try to juggle in this situation.
Lol at listening to career services. They are just trying to convince you to make that choice because they are looking out for the school- they are not looking out for you. They don't have to work for years in the wrong city.

Unless you relied on personal connections to get the first offer, nobody is even going to remember you reneged 6 months from now except for maybe the recruiting people.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the advice, all. I'm the first to realize I screwed up with my decision-making here. I should've followed up with the second firm before assuming anything.

I urge you to reconsider...if you really love that 'dream firm' and you're in a large enough market, no one will care. It might come back to bite you later, but people will understand that you were a bad law student/decision-maker way back when.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”