Best place to live for Chicago biglaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
trramic

New

Best place to live for Chicago biglaw?

Postby trramic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:16 pm

What are the best neighborhoods/areas to live while working as a young associate in Chicago biglaw? Would prefer someplace that's not super fratty, and not super young. Looking to spend around 3k for a 2br.

Bonus points for specific buildings that are dog-friendly in that they allow dogs that weigh over 50lbs and don't have crazy breed restrictions.

Edited to add- if this is the wrong forum for this, please let me know.

curepure

New

Re: Best place to live for Chicago biglaw?

Postby curepure » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:56 pm

for that price pretty much anywhere. try EnV in river north

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:55 am

Try Southport Corridor, Lincoln Park (near Armitage might be your speed, but careful not to get too close to DePaul), Old Town (may be a bit too Fratty), River North is also a good option, although I didn't love living there. You can definitely get a 2 bedroom under 3k, especially if you look outside of river north/west loop.

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:51 am

I'm a big fan of Printer's Row (the northmost part of South Loop). It fits your budget, has a few very nice buildings, feels new and clean, but feels quiet most of the time. It's definitely not as alive as some of the other spots mentioned, but for me that's perfect. I don't think I'll be leaving any time soon.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:33 am

OP - feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.. more than happy to help. Enjoy chicago, great city to be in.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:43 am

You can spend way less than that.

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:25 pm

trramic wrote:What are the best neighborhoods/areas to live while working as a young associate in Chicago biglaw? Would prefer someplace that's not super fratty, and not super young. Looking to spend around 3k for a 2br.

Bonus points for specific buildings that are dog-friendly in that they allow dogs that weigh over 50lbs and don't have crazy breed restrictions.

Edited to add- if this is the wrong forum for this, please let me know.

Lake view and Lincoln park by the lake or close to the lake. You have express buses taking you directly downtown during rush hour and the red line if snow. It is cheap, feels quiet but not suburban.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:30 pm

Probably depends on where your firm is located and how long you're willing to commute. South Loop could make sense if your firm is in the Loop, but if you're working at Latham or Kirkland in River North then it would be an absurd commute.

Good news is that $3k goes very far for a 2br in Chicago.

champloo

Bronze

Postby champloo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:31 pm

streeterville and lake shore east are good places imo

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:11 pm

champloo wrote:streeterville and lake shore east are good places imo

In those areas, you have to walk or rely on buses. If mass transit is necessary (which from most places it is), I'd try and be closer to a train -- more reliable and not subject to traffic jams. Same advice goes for most places near the lake in Lincoln Park or Lakeview. great areas, shitty commute -- especially home from work. Chicago traffic blows.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Postby KunAgnis » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:35 pm

Pokemon wrote:Lake view and Lincoln park by the lake or close to the lake. You have express buses taking you directly downtown during rush hour and the red line if snow. It is cheap, feels quiet but not suburban.

This is TCR. I live in Lake View on Cornelia near Broadway and Lake Shore Drive, and I regularly see a shit ton of people in suits taking the 146 bus to Michigan (Downtown). It's a great neighborhood, relatively cheap, pretty safe, and close to a park if you like jogging or exercise (I don't but just in case...)

KunAgnis

Bronze

Postby KunAgnis » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:37 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:In those areas, you have to walk or rely on buses. If mass transit is necessary (which from most places it is), I'd try and be closer to a train -- more reliable and not subject to traffic jams. Same advice goes for most places near the lake in Lincoln Park or Lakeview. great areas, shitty commute -- especially home from work. Chicago traffic blows.

This is a pretty good caveat. On mornings the bus will usually take 20 - 25 minutes. You could try living closer to a red line stop.

Return to “Legal Employment�