Firms in SV

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firms in SV

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:34 pm

I'm trying to decide between these 3: DPW, STB, and Fenwick. I think I prefer the work that Fenwick does, but I really like the people at Davis Polk and Simpson. Any thoughts for someone who expects to live and die in the Bay Area.

Anonymous User

Re: Firms in SV

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:45 pm

Interesting that you liked the Davis Polk people. I hated my screener. The interviewer had this too cool to talk to you attitude.

I loved the Simpson people. And the cafeteria. And the expresso machine.

Probably not helpful at all to you but that's all I got.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:58 pm

*espresso

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:29 pm

People love Fenwick's culture on this forum. I frankly don't see it. The people at my callback all seemed too cool for school.

I loved the people at Simpson. Long term, I would say if you are interested in staying in the Bay Area Fenwick is probably a better bet though.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:People love Fenwick's culture on this forum. I frankly don't see it. The people at my callback all seemed too cool for school.

I loved the people at Simpson. Long term, I would say if you are interested in staying in the Bay Area Fenwick is probably a better bet though.

I think this forum is often just an echo chamber for what any random poster said on this board years ago. Everyone on this forum says Fenwick is awesome, Cooley's also pretty cool, and WSGR is a sweatshop. I'm pretty sure these stereotypes can be traced back to one thread like 4 years ago but gets repeated a lot.

First of all I think it's really pretty hard to tell much about a firm from OCI unfortunately. That doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it and if you got a real strong impression one way or another and things are otherwise a toss up, then you should pick based on that. Also some firms have reputations for being more nerdy v. fratty and you can kind of decide based on that if you lean strongly one way or the other.

But most of the time, I think, this decision really should be more about the kind of work you want to do and the kind of clients you want to have.

I always really wanted to be at a valley firm. So for me, the clear choice would be Fenwick. I think based on what OP said, Fenwick is probably the right choice for them. I think you will be more plugged into Bay Area companies as opposed to working for more non-Bay Area clients and financial institutions at the other two.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:17 pm

Interviewed with STB, Cooley, and Fenwick -- ended up getting an offer at the first two, but not Fenwick so it was a similar decision for me, but btw Cooley and STB. In the end, I really liked the people at STB, but for me it seemed their corporate department is primarily doing PE work (and relying on a couple firms/ partners in particular), or representing banks and underwriters in various capacities. To me, that wasn't why I wanted to work in the Bay Area. The native firms (Cooley, Fenwick, WSGR, Gunderson) are plugged into the startup and established tech company scene and if you do some LinkedIn searches for "Counsel" at these places you'll see a lot of WSGR, etc. alumni. As a side note, it's probably easier to lateral from WSGR --> STB than vice versa (no empirical data, but interviewed at Weil, DPW as well and it seemed common for attorneys to have lateraled from one of the native firms).

Those were a few things I thought about when making the decision. Most importantly, STB's got a nice cafeteria and is closer to Palo Alto, while Fenwick is in "downtown" (lol) Mtn View, so depends on how you value those factors. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed with STB, Cooley, and Fenwick -- ended up getting an offer at the first two, but not Fenwick so it was a similar decision for me, but btw Cooley and STB. In the end, I really liked the people at STB, but for me it seemed their corporate department is primarily doing PE work (and relying on a couple firms/ partners in particular), or representing banks and underwriters in various capacities. To me, that wasn't why I wanted to work in the Bay Area. The native firms (Cooley, Fenwick, WSGR, Gunderson) are plugged into the startup and established tech company scene and if you do some LinkedIn searches for "Counsel" at these places you'll see a lot of WSGR, etc. alumni. As a side note, it's probably easier to lateral from WSGR --> STB than vice versa (no empirical data, but interviewed at Weil, DPW as well and it seemed common for attorneys to have lateraled from one of the native firms).

Those were a few things I thought about when making the decision. Most importantly, STB's got a nice cafeteria and is closer to Palo Alto, while Fenwick is in "downtown" (lol) Mtn View, so depends on how you value those factors. Good luck!

Hey, downtown Mountain View has a lot to offer! I think I'm leaning to Fenwick, but I'm assuming you chose Cooley. There's a few partners that I have been texting back and forth at STB, but I think Fenwick does the work I want to do and I don't see myself at a firm long term.

Return to “Legal Employment�