Court of Federal Claims vs. US Dist. Ct. Clerkship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ihadadream

New
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:13 am

Court of Federal Claims vs. US Dist. Ct. Clerkship

Postby ihadadream » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:49 am

Hello. Has anyone on here clerked and/or interned on both the Court of Federal Claims and US District Court? If so, could you compare/contrast the two? Which one did you find to be more challenging? More rewarding? Any other insight you could share would be helpful. Thanks.

Jchance

Silver
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Court of Federal Claims vs. US Dist. Ct. Clerkship

Postby Jchance » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:53 am

People seem to agree that a recent law grad would learn the most from a US Dist. Ct. Clerkship, though a CoA clerkship has more prestige.

Not sure how a clerkship with Court of Federal Claims is even in consideration. Is this flame?

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1680
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Court of Federal Claims vs. US Dist. Ct. Clerkship

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:57 am

Jchance wrote:People seem to agree that a recent law grad would learn the most from a US Dist. Ct. Clerkship, though a CoA clerkship has more prestige.

Not sure how a clerkship with Court of Federal Claims is even in consideration. Is this flame?


I'm guessing no, its not flame. Not everyone can get a Dist. Ct. clerkship... so interest in court of federal claims is a completely valid (and infrequently discussed) question.

User avatar
grand inquisitor

Gold
Posts: 3768
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:21 am

Re: Court of Federal Claims vs. US Dist. Ct. Clerkship

Postby grand inquisitor » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:12 am

i've seen biglaw lateral opportunities for gov't contracts that particularly request a CoFC clerkship, so there's definitely a niche where the clerkship is highly valued.

ihadadream

New
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:13 am

Re: Court of Federal Claims vs. US Dist. Ct. Clerkship

Postby ihadadream » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:24 am

It's really not a question of prestige. I know that U.S. Dist. is more prestigious. I just would like to know whether Court of Federal Claims is comparable to a US Dist. Court Clerkship in terms of the experience.

Attorneys or no, you guys have to stop being so skeptical. :D

globetrotter659

New
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: Court of Federal Claims vs. US Dist. Ct. Clerkship

Postby globetrotter659 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:45 am

Do you like government contracts and government employment disputes? If that appeals to you and you want to do that type of work post clerkship than the court of federal claims is a good option. If you have no interest in that area of law then it would be a waste although it is still a clerkship experience (and all the benefits associated with that).

barkschool

Silver
Posts: 957
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:05 am

Re: Court of Federal Claims vs. US Dist. Ct. Clerkship

Postby barkschool » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:45 pm

A CFC clerkship will limit you almost exclusively to job openings to be a gov contracts lawyer.

While the district ct. will allow you to do pretty much anything litigation. (Save obvious exceptions)

ihadadream

New
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:13 am

Re: Court of Federal Claims vs. US Dist. Ct. Clerkship

Postby ihadadream » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:18 pm

globetrotter659 wrote:Do you like government contracts and government employment disputes? If that appeals to you and you want to do that type of work post clerkship than the court of federal claims is a good option. If you have no interest in that area of law then it would be a waste although it is still a clerkship experience (and all the benefits associated with that).


Are those the only types of cases they work on?

purpleparrot

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Court of Federal Claims vs. US Dist. Ct. Clerkship

Postby purpleparrot » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:15 pm

ihadadream wrote:
globetrotter659 wrote:Do you like government contracts and government employment disputes? If that appeals to you and you want to do that type of work post clerkship than the court of federal claims is a good option. If you have no interest in that area of law then it would be a waste although it is still a clerkship experience (and all the benefits associated with that).


Are those the only types of cases they work on?


I clerked in the CFC, and the answer is no although they're probably the bulk of it. I also had a few tax refunds, several takings cases, and some IP cases. The experience is probably the same as district court (I interned in district court) as far as your duties as a clerk and learning how federal litigation works but the types of cases are different.

EDIT to answer your first question: both were challenging and rewarding for me. I would have chosen district court over the CFC had it been an option, but I don't think I got less out of the CFC clerkship. CFC might pigeonhole you into going into a related practice...it's personal preference whether that's good or bad.

ihadadream

New
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:13 am

Re: Court of Federal Claims vs. US Dist. Ct. Clerkship

Postby ihadadream » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:37 pm

purpleparrot wrote:
ihadadream wrote:
globetrotter659 wrote:Do you like government contracts and government employment disputes? If that appeals to you and you want to do that type of work post clerkship than the court of federal claims is a good option. If you have no interest in that area of law then it would be a waste although it is still a clerkship experience (and all the benefits associated with that).


Are those the only types of cases they work on?


I clerked in the CFC, and the answer is no although they're probably the bulk of it. I also had a few tax refunds, several takings cases, and some IP cases. The experience is probably the same as district court (I interned in district court) as far as your duties as a clerk and learning how federal litigation works but the types of cases are different.

EDIT to answer your first question: both were challenging and rewarding for me. I would have chosen district court over the CFC had it been an option, but I don't think I got less out of the CFC clerkship. CFC might pigeonhole you into going into a related practice...it's personal preference whether that's good or bad.


Thanks.

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Court of Federal Claims vs. US Dist. Ct. Clerkship

Postby zot1 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:42 pm

You could be marketable for in-house counsel opportunities with government contractors. Not a bad gig AT ALL.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.