Standing Desk for SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
OneShot2009

New

Standing Desk for SA?

Postby OneShot2009 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:06 am

How rude/presumptuous would it be for a summer associate to talk to recruiting about whether they have standing desks and the possibility of having a standing desk? Long story short, I have a diagnosed back condition that makes it painful for me to sit for a whole day. Past offices have had standing desks, and have therefore not found it strange for me to stand while I type (at my normal desk.)

I'll do that if I have to, but was wondering if there is a chance an inquiry to recruiting would be appropriate. I have already accepted my offer.

Emma.

Gold

Re: Standing Desk for SA?

Postby Emma. » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:16 am

Many firms provide these, but often they'll require a doctor's note. I'd recommend getting a doctor's note first, then contacting recruiting and telling them you have a bona fide health issue for which your doctor recommends a standing desk, will it be possible to get a standing desk for the summer?

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Postby BmoreOrLess » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:51 am

If you have a diagnosed condition, I can't imagine you having a problem getting one if your firm has a program for standing desks (my SA firm did). I'd think this is a perfectly acceptable question for recruiting.

The only possible problem I could see is the optics of having a standing desk as a SA (i.e., "who does that sunmer think he is getting a standing desk?"), but I don't think this would actually be an issue.

OneShot2009

New

Postby OneShot2009 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:05 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
The only possible problem I could see is the optics of having a standing desk as a SA (i.e., "who does that sunmer think he is getting a standing desk?"), but I don't think this would actually be an issue.

That was kind of what I was worried about. An intern at the last place I worked asked for one just to have one and it came off pretty obnoxiously, not to mention she was denied. I don't mind explaining that I have a back problem if people ask, but I don't want to come off as entitled or like I think I'm special from day one. In all likelihood, I am already going to be standing out for being from the lowest ranked school.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:12 pm

OneShot2009 wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:

That was kind of what I was worried about. An intern at the last place I worked asked for one just to have one and it came off pretty obnoxiously, not to mention she was denied. I don't mind explaining that I have a back problem if people ask, but I don't want to come off as entitled or like I think I'm special from day one. In all likelihood, I am already going to be standing out for being from the lowest ranked school.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

No input on the standing desk issue. But DO NOT worry about being from the lowest ranked schools. Literally no one will know or care. And those that do care can fuck off. Its a non-issue.

Return to “Legal Employment�