Plaintiff-side mid/biglaw that pays well? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Plaintiff-side mid/biglaw that pays well?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm

Is there such a thing? By plaintiff-side I mean consumer friendly firms or firms that litigate against corporate wrongdoers. I really enjoy the plaintiff-side more but half of them are solo/small firms that are equally unsavory. If there are reputable firms in So Cal area like the one I described, could you name some here? Thank you.

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Plaintiff-side mid/biglaw that pays well?

Post by deadpanic » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:14 pm

Robbins Geller in San Diego?

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:17 pm

Robins Geller
Robins Kaplan
mckool smith
Bernstein Litowitz
Kirby McInerney
Hagens Berman
Lanier
Siprut
wolf haldenstein
Cotchett Pitre
Glancy binkow

That should get you started.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:23 am

Rlabo wrote:Robins Geller
Robins Kaplan
McKool Smith
Bernstein Litowitz
Kirby McInerney
Hagens Berman
Lanier
Siprut
wolf haldenstein
Cotchett Pitre
Glancy binkow

That should get you started.
Very helpful. Thank you thank you <3

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:36 am

A good way to locate these firms is to check publication rankings law 360 and NLJ, for example. They'll usually have a "plaintiffs hot list" or a "most feared plaintiff firm" or top boutique ranking etc. This will give you a good sense of whos who in the field, then it's just a matter of seeing which firm has an office in socal. You can also follow the legal news and see what firms are filing cases you find interesting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:10 am

Harvard's private public interest firms list is pretty good too: http://hls.harvard.edu/content/uploads/ ... -guide.pdf (organized by geographic location with description of practice area, not filtered by compensation but could still be a helpful resource in sorting through these firms)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:20 pm

Anyone have any pay stats for any of these firms?

onefloridaboy

New

Post by onefloridaboy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:42 pm

k5220 wrote:Harvard's private public interest firms list is pretty good too: http://hls.harvard.edu/content/uploads/ ... -guide.pdf (organized by geographic location with description of practice area, not filtered by compensation but could still be a helpful resource in sorting through these firms)
I know this is a late reply, but for anyone who sees this thread looking for advice, I have a pretty good working knowledge of top florida law firms, and this pdf has most of the best ones, though some newer or smaller ones are missing. There are firms with 2-3 attorneys pulling in 8+ figures a year in settlements and verdicts.

Searcy Denney, especially as long as Searcy is still the head, is gonna be the top "brand name" plaintiff firm in florida. Many of the other top firms were started by former attorneys there.

I don't have specific numbers for lower level stuff, but partners are those firms are gonna be somewhere in the 6 figures base and they have a pretty good amount of 7 figure cases, enough that the base would be only a fraction of total comp. If you end up there and are good you'll have a path to 7 figure years, and successful attorneys from those firms go on to open their own once they've got an area and referral base scoped out. If you're looking for other good firms, county and state trial lawyer organizations+AAJ are good places to look for who's who.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:08 pm

^ I know a few people at Searcy Denney. Associates have a base in the low 100s but bonus can be around 100% of base. Only bad thing is that some people who stay there will be career associates if they don’t move and open their own shop.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

onefloridaboy

New

Post by onefloridaboy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^ I know a few people at Searcy Denney. Associates have a base in the low 100s but bonus can be around 100% of base. Only bad thing is that some people who stay there will be career associates if they don’t move and open their own shop.
Yeah, Searcy Denney can be a bit of a career trap for people. Great lawyers and great resources, but the top attorneys are long timers and won't give up control as long as they're working. They've all earned that right though. Some are getting up there in age though, so there should be room in the relatively near future.

I definitely know people who've left top-tier firms for less "prestigious" or lower paying fields because they saw it as their way of advancing their career or just knew they didn't have the skills/talent/charisma/whatever to break through the ceiling to become a partner at an established firm or open their own firm and compete for great cases.

There's definitely a career to be made being referred the cases bigger firms pass on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any pay stats for any of these firms?
+1

Would love to know base salary + typical bonuses for first years at some of the securities litigation boutiques (Bernstein/Robbins Geller) in NY or SoCal.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:54 pm

Robins Kaplan pays market, or close to it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”