Law Firm Rescinded Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law Firm Rescinded Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:37 pm

Has anyone ever had an interview offer rescinded by a law firm? This just happened to me, and I'm a little bit rattled. Their reason was that they had more people than they expected accept a summer associate offer before my interview.

arock111

New

Re: Law Firm Rescinded Interview

Postby arock111 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:40 pm

the alternative would be dragging you out to an interview when you have no chance at an offer

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:50 pm

That sucks, but it isn't personal. This is why it's best to schedule callbacks asap.

mecarey

New

Postby mecarey » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:01 pm

This is functionally the same as you cancelling an interview with a firm after accepting an offer with another firm. There's no point in wasting everyone's time.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:08 pm

interview rescission isn't nearly as awful as an offer rescission.

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:36 pm

I can understand why you might be upset, but try to look at it this way - it's better for both you and the firm not to waste each other's time if they couldn't/wouldn't give you an offer anyway. You can use that time to MM/keep looking, rather than chasing something that wasn't going to happen.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Did they call to rescind the interview, or was it a snail mail ding? Not trying to get your hopes up, but I once received a form rejection letter by mistake (about a week before my scheduled cb). I called the firm to double check and they said it was sent by accident, and I still had my cb as planned.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:41 pm

Okay so is this a common thing? I thought it was pretty unprofessional and insensitive. I guess if this is common practice it would be less so. But I would think a firm would be able to better calculate offer/acceptance rates--or, in the alternative, emphasize that interviewing earlier with the firm is better.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay so is this a common thing? I thought it was pretty unprofessional and insensitive. I guess if this is common practice it would be less so. But I would think a firm would be able to better calculate offer/acceptance rates--or, in the alternative, emphasize that interviewing earlier with the firm is better.

Even the worst TTT CDO/CSO would've told you this. It should be common knowledge. If yours did not, I'm sorry that's ridiculous. Sucky situation but I wish you the best!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay so is this a common thing? I thought it was pretty unprofessional and insensitive. I guess if this is common practice it would be less so. But I would think a firm would be able to better calculate offer/acceptance rates--or, in the alternative, emphasize that interviewing earlier with the firm is better.

It's pretty rare for summer associate hiring, I think, but I have had it happen in other contexts.

Firms are generally pretty good at estimating yields, but shit happens.

You really shouldn't need to be told that interviewing earlier is better. It always is.

The alternative here is that you go for the interview and inevitably get dinged because they have no openings. It really blows, sorry to hear about it. But the firm didn't do anything wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:52 pm

It definitely sucks, but it is much better than making you waste your time flying out and prepping and interviewing for a job that doesn't exist.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It definitely sucks, but it is much better than making you waste your time flying out and prepping and interviewing for a job that doesn't exist.

Idk I milked my CBs for free flights to spend a weekend in a different city. Too bad for op.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:28 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:

Even the worst TTT CDO/CSO would've told you this. It should be common knowledge. If yours did not, I'm sorry that's ridiculous. Sucky situation but I wish you the best!

My school actually told me that it would make no difference. It's a top school, so I think they might be a little pretentious about these things. But they said they'd never heard of this happening.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:11 pm

Waiting this long to do a callback when the whole interview season has shifted up is really late. We're more than 6 weeks into post-OCI interview season and I would bet many firms are close to finalizing their classes. Good news is that other firms are probably also now realizing that their yield was lower than expected and they need to hire more people. Mass mail.

Other bright side here is that if this firm isn't 100% offer rate you might have dodged a no-offers due to large class size situation.

Return to “Legal Employment�