3L: summer firm or better firm for my practice group? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
snapdragon25

Bronze

3L: summer firm or better firm for my practice group?

Post by snapdragon25 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:57 pm

I loved my summer, made lots of great connections, and loved the culture. The firm I worked at (Davis Polk/Milbank/Jones Day/Skadden) has a solid bankruptcy group, but I applied and have another offer from a firm that's the best of the best in the bankruptcy world (Weil/Kirkland). Both offers are from the bankruptcy/restructuring group. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it (in terms of complexity of work and exit options basically) to start from scratch at a better firm that's still sort of an unknown, or if I should just go to the firm where I know people and I know I'd enjoy working with them.

Does anyone here have thoughts on:
-Working at a firm that's solid for your practice area vs tippy top best in the country for your practice group
-Working at a different firm from your summer firm
-Exit options from solid vs tippy top bankruptcy practices (I know exit options in bankruptcy aren't great in general)

Return to “Legal Employment”