Biglaw with dietary restrictions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw with dietary restrictions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:18 pm

I have celiac. Eating out is an enormous pain in the ass and I hate it. Getting generic takeout is basically impossible.

Is this going to be difficult to deal with as a biglaw SA?

What about when I'm working?

Would especially like to hear from other people with serious medical or religious restrictions (eg strictly kosher) who have dealt with them in biglaw.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: Biglaw with dietary restrictions

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have celiac. Eating out is an enormous pain in the ass and I hate it. Getting generic takeout is basically impossible.

Is this going to be difficult to deal with as a biglaw SA?

What about when I'm working?

Would especially like to hear from other people with serious medical or religious restrictions (eg strictly kosher) who have dealt with them in biglaw.

I'm vegan. It's usually not s problem. I just get whatever that option is on the menu and don't even tell people that I am. I don't know whether your diet is stricter than mine, but no one has really cares.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:30 pm

Yeah, that doesn't really work with celiac. I don't think that veganism or vegetarianism really compare. It's more like being strictly kosher where it matters what dishes are used to cook things with etc. so you can really only go to specialized restaurants (or just take the chance that you'll get sick). Thanks, though, I'm glad it hasn't been an issue for you.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, that doesn't really work with celiac. I don't think that veganism or vegetarianism really compare. It's more like being strictly kosher where it matters what dishes are used to cook things with etc. so you can really only go to specialized restaurants (or just take the chance that you'll get sick). Thanks, though, I'm glad it hasn't been an issue for you.

Sorry, that makes sense. One trick that I do sometimes when I'm going somewhere that I know won't have anything is to just eat before I go then get a salad or something when I'm there.

It sucks doing this sometime and not getting to take advantage of free meals, but it might be a strategy that could work for you if there is something on the menu for you to eat even if small. I like avoiding the questions sometimes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:35 pm

One of the SAs in my class had celiac. Wasn't a huge issue for her. Recruiting asked about our dietary restrictions ahead of time. She just ordered gluten-free (salads without dressing where nothing else was possible) and recruiting tried to plan ahead of time for her.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, that doesn't really work with celiac. I don't think that veganism or vegetarianism really compare. It's more like being strictly kosher where it matters what dishes are used to cook things with etc. so you can really only go to specialized restaurants (or just take the chance that you'll get sick). Thanks, though, I'm glad it hasn't been an issue for you.

It seems like, at least in big cities, that GF isn't a big deal and something you can manage most places.

Also, firms usually ask if you have any dietary preferences/restrictions.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:35 pm

One of the senior associates I work with is kosher. It will not be a problem but obviously it will often be up to you to figure out food if you can't do delivery.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:50 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:One of the senior associates I work with is kosher. It will not be a problem but obviously it will often be up to you to figure out food if you can't do delivery.

Cool, good to know. I'm used to feeding myself so that's not an issue, but definitely curious about how people deal with the logistics/social aspect.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:03 pm

sublime wrote:

It seems like, at least in big cities, that GF isn't a big deal and something you can manage most places.

Restaurants are fairly good at not putting tons of gluten into certain dishes. Unfortunately, accommodating celiac requires a lot more than that.

People hear "gluten" and they think they know what that means because people avoid it as a lifestyle choice. That is way, way different than celiac. It's like the difference between not liking to eat shrimp and having a shellfish allergy. (Although celiac isn't immediately fatal, thank god.)

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sublime wrote:

Restaurants are fairly good at not putting tons of gluten into certain dishes. Unfortunately, accommodating celiac requires a lot more than that.

People hear "gluten" and they think they know what that means because people avoid it as a lifestyle choice. That is way, way different than celiac. It's like the difference between not liking to eat shrimp and having a shellfish allergy. (Although celiac isn't immediately fatal, thank god.)

I understand the difference between celiac and electing to be gluten free as a preference, thanks.

I'm not sure what you want anybody to tell you. In places like NYC, it wouldn't be out of place to ask which entree is GF (there is a decent chance it will be labeled on the menu anyway). If that isn't good enough then bring your lunch/don't go out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:31 pm

sublime wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sublime wrote:

I understand the difference between celiac and electing to be gluten free as a preference, thanks.

I'm not sure what you want anybody to tell you. In places like NYC, it wouldn't be out of place to ask which entree is GF (there is a decent chance it will be labeled on the menu anyway). If that isn't good enough then bring your lunch/don't go out.

I want people who have dealt with it, or who know someone else who has, to tell me about the social and logistical issues they faced and how they handled it.

Obviously eating out is a huge social thing in biglaw, but if you think it wouldn't be a problem for an SA to literally never eat out with anyone, that's good to hear.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:14 pm

I know people who have been SAs and associates with celiac. You just tell people and seek out restaurants that you know can accommodate it, of which there should be many. Firms wouldn't send a vegetarian SA to a steakhouse for lunch and they won't send you to a place where you aren't confident they can make something truly gluten free. You're just going to have to be upfront about it. But it won't make you a pariah or anything. I assume you eat out from time to time despite having celiac? It's just gonna be like that.

NB: my experience is in NYC. No idea if there are a lot of restaurants in, like, downtown Houston that will work for you.

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Postby CaptainLeela » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:17 pm

Welcome to TLS

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:29 pm

We had a SA with celiac, and she was able to participate in summer lunches and other social events. We had sliders at one event, but it wasn't like this SA could just take off the bun, so recruiting arranged for the kitchen to prepare a platter of patties for her that never touched bread. Don't be afraid to speak up, both to recruiting and waitstaff. You can call the restaurant in advance if you're unsure. You might even be able to find some associates with celiac and go to a gluten-free restaurant (or go with anyone, really - non-celiacs can eat there too).

Basically, talk to recruiting. They want you to have a good summer, and they don't want you to starve.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:33 pm

You're not that special just bc you have celiac, JFC. Just get salads at lunch, no one gives a shit. Your need to talk down to ppl in this thread is weird and leads me to believe you are going to have more social problems this summer than choosing menu items.

acr

Silver

Postby acr » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:37 pm

cron1834 wrote:You're not that special just bc you have celiac, JFC. Just get salads at lunch, no one gives a shit. Your need to talk down to ppl in this thread is weird and leads me to believe you are going to have more social problems this summer than choosing menu items.

+1,000,000

get over yourself OP

NYC2012

Bronze

Postby NYC2012 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:43 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYC2012

Bronze

Postby NYC2012 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:45 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:51 pm

Yea, if the standard you need is zero chance of minimal cross contamination, then don't eat out. I don't know what to tell you, because even if necessary, that is an impossible standard for any non completely GF establishment. Sorry.

Fwiw, I have friends with Celiac who seem to manage going out and drinking, and having food like a normal person, although they seem to be much more laid back and enjoyable to be around than you two, so ymmv.

NYC2012

Bronze

Postby NYC2012 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:53 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Postby anyriotgirl » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:54 pm

NYC2012 wrote:
cron1834 wrote:You're not that special just bc you have celiac, JFC. Just get salads at lunch, no one gives a shit. Your need to talk down to ppl in this thread is weird and leads me to believe you are going to have more social problems this summer than choosing menu items.

What you don't understand is that ordering salads doesn't help if there has been even a tiny trace amount of cross contamination, like using the same knife or cutting board that was used for something with gluten. OP is not trying to talk down to people, you all just really don't get it.

we live in 2016, people grasp what celiac disease is
Last edited by anyriotgirl on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:57 pm

NYC2012 wrote:Being laid back about your food is not an option when you have a life threatening allergy. Consider yourself lucky to not experience it.

I'd appreciate some sort of link or source that people are dying because their GF lettuce wrap got set on a cutting board that had a piece of bread on it before.

Regardless, that is an impossible standard to hold restaurants to, so I would suggest not eating out.

ETA: brief research suggests that the only deadly part of Celiac is long term shit if left untreated, and not as a result of consuming gluten, even on a cutting board.

And Celiac isn't an allergy. People can grow out of allergies, but that is not possible with Celiac :wink:

Sprout

Silver

Postby Sprout » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:34 am

NYC2012 wrote:

What you don't understand is that ordering salads doesn't help if there has been even a tiny trace amount of cross contamination, like using the same knife or cutting board that was used for something with gluten. OP is not trying to talk down to people, you all just really don't get it.

No offense dude but factually that's not a thing. You won't get anaphylactic shock from having a crouton crumb on your salad if you're gluten intolerant or have celiac or whatever.. it's not even really an allergy per se. Not to say it's not a real condition but it is light years away from a life threatening allergy like bees or peanuts. Don't try to make it seem like those are the same thing and we all don't understand. Some of us do have allergies for sure.

[ Luckily epi-pens are super cheap these days. ;) ]

eta: mostly scooped

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:39 am

sublime wrote:Yea, if the standard you need is zero chance of minimal cross contamination, then don't eat out. I don't know what to tell you, because even if necessary, that is an impossible standard for any non completely GF establishment. Sorry.

Fwiw, I have friends with Celiac who seem to manage going out and drinking, and having food like a normal person, although they seem to be much more laid back and enjoyable to be around than you two, so ymmv.

They might experience different symptoms or have different issues. Some people with celiac never even know they have it until they get a blood test for it. They only find out when a relative gets diagnosed or when they have anemia or a vitamin deficiency. I personally get food-poisoning-like symptoms (including vomiting) and a horrific rash so I'm probably more careful than most people. It probably is less enjoyable to go out with me than it is for you to go out with your friends. But IDK why you are so aggro about it given that I'm not asking you to do anything but let people who know what's going on give me tips/advice :|

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sublime wrote:Yea, if the standard you need is zero chance of minimal cross contamination, then don't eat out. I don't know what to tell you, because even if necessary, that is an impossible standard for any non completely GF establishment. Sorry.

They might experience different symptoms or have different issues. Some people with celiac never even know they have it until they get a blood test for it. They only find out when a relative gets diagnosed or when they have anemia or a vitamin deficiency. I personally get food-poisoning-like symptoms (including vomiting) and a horrific rash so I'm probably more careful than most people. It probably is less enjoyable to go out with me than it is for you to go out with your friends. But IDK why you are so aggro about it given that I'm not asking you to do anything but let people who know what's going on give me tips/advice :|

Sry. Most of that was directed at nyc2012 who I find annoying, not you.

Best of luck getting it figured out. Big firms tend to be pretty chill about this stuff and do what they can.

Return to “Legal Employment�