(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm?

White & Case
56%
Shearman & Sterling
44%

Total votes: 18

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:37 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PennBull

Diamond

Re: White & Case NY v. Shearman & Sterling NY

Postby PennBull » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:that Shearman's still slumping and is moving in the wrong direction.

i still don't understand where this anecdotal stuff comes from

stoopkid13

Bronze

Postby stoopkid13 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:59 pm

PennBull wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:that Shearman's still slumping and is moving in the wrong direction.

My impression is that it's mostly fuelled by an uncomplicated look at Vault rankings. Shearman used to be V15. Now it's V40. No idea why that happened. No idea whether it really matters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:59 am

stoopkid13 wrote:
PennBull wrote:

My impression is that it's mostly fuelled by an uncomplicated look at Vault rankings. Shearman used to be V15. Now it's V40. No idea why that happened. No idea whether it really matters.

Vault overall rankings really don't matter. Dewey went up in Vault rankings right before it imploded. This year K&L Gates went up 8 spots when so many of its partners are leaving (it no-offered 10 summers last year). Look at Milbank's place in the rankings when it's one of the most profitable firms. Vault regional rankings (New York etc) are more stable and seem to at least reflect how junior associates view firms in their markets to some extent. For a comparison of prestige, Vault website has a separate selectivity rankings as well. The overall rankings is just useless. Just looking at it simplistically, how Cravath is ahead of Wachtell in the overall rankings when it is behind Wachtell in the New York rankings doesn't make any sense, does it?

People use V10, V20 whatever because they don't want to out themselves but still need to indicate the kinds of firms they are talking about. For more relevant comparison I would suggest looking at Chambers.

Anonymous User

Re: ...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:16 pm

Not sure how Shearman is "in the wrong direction," but it keeps winning awards and it's highly rated in many areas in Chambers -- it seems like quite the opposite.

Return to “Legal Employment�