switching practice groups before starting

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

switching practice groups before starting

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:09 pm

I am a 3L and I am going to a v10 that allowed me to pick whichever group i wanted. I picked a group last month but am now regretting that selection. If I call and ask if i can switch my selection, is it possible they will pull my offer, or will they probably let me switch? i started off in the group that i wanted to be in and switched mid-summer to the other. what is the worst that could happen?i assume calling the sooner the better.

Anonymous User

Re: switching practice groups before starting

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 3L and I am going to a v10 that allowed me to pick whichever group i wanted. I picked a group last month but am now regretting that selection. If I call and ask if i can switch my selection, is it possible they will pull my offer, or will they probably let me switch? i started off in the group that i wanted to be in and switched mid-summer to the other. what is the worst that could happen?i assume calling the sooner the better.

Bump. Surely this must have happened to someone here or someone that someone here knows in the past.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:49 pm

Don't bump after an hour. Come on now.

umichman

Bronze

Postby umichman » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:04 pm

BUMP. please some thoughts

tbird

New

Postby tbird » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:37 am

Ok I will play, although I don't know anything about you or what firm you are going to or what their needs are (just like everyone else doesn't know the answer to this question). I can speculate though. Most likely they won't pull your offer. Assuming you summered there and got an offer that way they aren't going to throw away their investment simply because you changed your mind about which group you want to be in. If they have already filled the spot you want to be in now, they will likely tell you there is no longer room in that group. Or maybe that group is extra busy and they will say cool. Who knows, is there someone there that you trust that could give you some better insight?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:28 am

tbird wrote:Ok I will play, although I don't know anything about you or what firm you are going to or what their needs are (just like everyone else doesn't know the answer to this question). I can speculate though. Most likely they won't pull your offer. Assuming you summered there and got an offer that way they aren't going to throw away their investment simply because you changed your mind about which group you want to be in. If they have already filled the spot you want to be in now, they will likely tell you there is no longer room in that group. Or maybe that group is extra busy and they will say cool. Who knows, is there someone there that you trust that could give you some better insight?

This, confirmed from a v15. Not sure if it's the same for every firm, but just be cordial about it. It's not a simple process at all because some people are sensitive and they might think you're leaving their practice group because you dont like them, so be mindful of that.

If they don't have room then will most likely keep you in mind for the future.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
tbird wrote:Ok I will play, although I don't know anything about you or what firm you are going to or what their needs are (just like everyone else doesn't know the answer to this question). I can speculate though. Most likely they won't pull your offer. Assuming you summered there and got an offer that way they aren't going to throw away their investment simply because you changed your mind about which group you want to be in. If they have already filled the spot you want to be in now, they will likely tell you there is no longer room in that group. Or maybe that group is extra busy and they will say cool. Who knows, is there someone there that you trust that could give you some better insight?

This, confirmed from a v15. Not sure if it's the same for every firm, but just be cordial about it. It's not a simple process at all because some people are sensitive and they might think you're leaving their practice group because you dont like them, so be mindful of that.

I have some people I trust. But would i want to talk to someone that is in recruiting or an attorney? it seems the person in recruiting that i trust would be more liklely to be helpful.

Mr. Fancy

Silver

Postby Mr. Fancy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:08 am

I'd be careful. The risk is that there will be no room for you in the new group and thus have to stay in the current group, and people in your current group will find out and that will (at least subconsciously) harm your integration as a junior.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have some people I trust. But would i want to talk to someone that is in recruiting or an attorney? it seems the person in recruiting that i trust would be more liklely to be helpful.

If you really trust the person in recruiting, go for it. Personally, I would be very forthcoming and honest, but strategic. Meaning, I would tell them that I'm unhappy with my current group/I want to change, but I'd phrase it in a way that begs advice. Aka "from your experience, how have practice groups dealt with switching" etc. And then gauge the recruiter's reaction. If she's taken aback, then obvi that's that and you're stuck with your group. If she's happy to talk w/you, then gradually be more revealing.

I don't have to tell you this, but never badmouth you current group. Regardless of how "close" you think you are with the recruiter, I can assure you that you're not as close as others in your practice.

Return to “Legal Employment�