Biglaw Welcome Party Dresscode

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw Welcome Party Dresscode

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:46 am

My firm is having a welcome party at the end of our first week and I'm trying to pack accordingly as I'm staying with a friend until I can move into my apartment. How do females normally dress at these? I switched firms so I don't know anyone there I can ask, firm is in NYC if that makes any difference.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Biglaw Welcome Party Dresscode

Postby TLSModBot » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:47 am

Ask the firm?

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Postby What the f.supp? » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:09 am

Call me bold but I'd probably just e-mail a random female junior associate, introduce yourself in a sentence and ask what would be appropriate attire for the event. Mention that you're packing for the whole week before heading out.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:51 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:Call me bold but I'd probably just e-mail a random female junior associate, introduce yourself in a sentence and ask what would be appropriate attire for the event. Mention that you're packing for the whole week before heading out.

+1
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:54 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:Call me bold but I'd probably just e-mail a random female junior associate, introduce yourself in a sentence and ask what would be appropriate attire for the event. Mention that you're packing for the whole week before heading out.

Actually, the more that I think about it... if you do take this course of action there is a high likelihood that the female associate will respond and let you know what the expected dress of the event will be, but she will also forward the email to her friends in the firm and start and email chain discussion about it, you, and what someone should wear. Then, at the event, they will all be looking at you seeing what you worse and knowing that you had reached out and asked in advance. Not sure that all matters to you or not, but seems like it is a possibility.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYC2012

Bronze

Postby NYC2012 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:03 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:13 pm

kellyfrost wrote:

Actually, the more that I think about it... if you do take this course of action there is a high likelihood that the female associate will respond and let you know what the expected dress of the event will be, but she will also forward the email to her friends in the firm and start and email chain discussion about it, you, and what someone should wear. Then, at the event, they will all be looking at you seeing what you worse and knowing that you had reached out and asked in advance. Not sure that all matters to you or not, but seems like it is a possibility.

I think its more likely that the female attorney will politely respond and then ask some generic ice breaker questions and will be a potential person you can talk with at said party before you meet others.

Maybe I'm giving humanity too much of a shot though.

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Postby What the f.supp? » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:26 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

I think its more likely that the female attorney will politely respond and then ask some generic ice breaker questions and will be a potential person you can talk with at said party before you meet others.

Agree 100% with RaceJudicata. No offense, kellyfrost, your response reflects a degree of anxiety and paranoia that I've only seen in movies.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:27 pm

kellyfrost wrote:

Nah.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:27 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

Agree 100% with RaceJudicata. No offense, kellyfrost, your response reflects a degree of anxiety and paranoia that I've only seen in movies.

No offense taken. I think your reading of the response artificially injects anxiety and paranoia when none actually exists.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My firm is having a welcome party at the end of our first week and I'm trying to pack accordingly as I'm staying with a friend until I can move into my apartment. How do females normally dress at these? I switched firms so I don't know anyone there I can ask, firm is in NYC if that makes any difference.

Ask recruiting, would be my move.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:14 pm

kellyfrost wrote:

You are fucking weird

notgreat

Silver

Postby notgreat » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:19 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My firm is having a welcome party at the end of our first week and I'm trying to pack accordingly as I'm staying with a friend until I can move into my apartment. How do females normally dress at these? I switched firms so I don't know anyone there I can ask, firm is in NYC if that makes any difference.

This is the right move. Recruiting will have the answer and be chill about it. Any time you have a Q about what to wear when you are a summer/new associate, ask recruiting.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:44 pm

Nebby wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

You are fucking weird

Yes, that he is weird. But so is OP. Like seriously, how autistic do you have to be to have to ask what to wear to a business event? It's not rocket science. When it doubt, err on the side of conservative.

thisiswater

Silver

Postby thisiswater » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:10 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
Nebby wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

You are fucking weird

Yes, that he is weird. But so is OP. Like seriously, how autistic do you have to be to have to ask what to wear to a business event? It's not rocket science. When it doubt, err on the side of conservative.

but if everyone else is in cocktail dresses, being in a suiting dress is noticeably different. i would ask

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:15 pm

1styearlateral wrote:Yes, that he is weird. But so is OP. Like seriously, how autistic do you have to be to have to ask what to wear to a business event?

I disagree that OP is weird for wondering about this. Firms have significantly different norms about this kind of thing, ranging from "just wear whatever you had on at work" to "you should change to formal attire."

Ordinarily, you could just feel this out during your first week at the firm. But since OP will have a limited wardrobe, it makes sense to ask in advance.

Frankly, your tone-deaf criticism sounds more "autistic" than OP's post.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:19 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
Nebby wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

You are fucking weird

You are also weird, and also undoubtedly a man

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:25 pm

rpupkin wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:Yes, that he is weird. But so is OP. Like seriously, how autistic do you have to be to have to ask what to wear to a business event?

I disagree that OP is weird for wondering about this. Firms have significantly different norms about this kind of thing, ranging from "just wear whatever you had on at work" to "you should change to formal attire."

Ordinarily, you could just feel out this kind of thing during your first week. But since OP will have a limited wardrobe, it makes sense to ask in advance.

Frankly, your tone-deaf criticism sounds more "autistic" than OP's post.

Unless you dress super casual for work, or the invitation explicitly states "black tie," I would think suit and tie (or maybe even no tie) would be appropriate. If they want you to wear something more formal or casual than what you would wear to work, then they'll tell you specifically to avoid OP's conundrum. I just attended an event last night and wore the suit jacket I wore to work. No biggie.

thisiswater wrote:but if everyone else is in cocktail dresses, being in a suiting dress is noticeably different. i would ask

Sure, might be different but it certainly wouldn't be inappropriate. What's wrong with wearing something different than everyone else? It's highly doubtful that you'll be the only one dressed for work anyway. Not everyone lives in the city and can go home to change.

Maybe I'm missing something but for a cocktail party a tux/gown is overdressed and jeans/button down is underdressed. Maybe some people haven't been to as many functions as others and these types of gatherings cause unnecessary (but understandable) anxiety.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:25 pm

Nebby wrote:You are also weird, and also undoubtedly a man

I outed myself :X

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:59 pm

Nebby wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

You are fucking weird

I guess so. I was just giving my two cents since, you know, she asked.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Postby patentlitigatrix » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:05 pm

notgreat wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

This is the right move. Recruiting will have the answer and be chill about it. Any time you have a Q about what to wear when you are a summer/new associate, ask recruiting.

This. I can't imagine wearing anything but jeans and a semi-nice shirt to something like this on a Friday at my firm. But that is probably not the case for you ....since NYC

lurklaw

Silver

Postby lurklaw » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:35 pm

patentlitigatrix wrote:
notgreat wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

This. I can't imagine wearing anything but jeans and a semi-nice shirt to something like this on a Friday at my firm. But that is probably not the case for you ....since NYC

... Jeans remain

vcap180

Bronze

Postby vcap180 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:49 pm

wear an Ed Hardy shirt and khaki cargo shorts.

squishylawstudent321

New

Postby squishylawstudent321 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:29 pm

kellyfrost wrote:

TBH, i'd give this a zero-percent chance of happening.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:35 pm

squishylawstudent321 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

TBH, i'd give this a zero-percent chance of happening.

Where did you get your JD?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment�