Biglaw Cafeterias

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw Cafeterias

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:36 pm

How are they in terms of quality and price? When a firm claims its cafeteria is subsidized, what does that usually mean in terms of prices? Which firms have the best (both quality and value) and worst cafeterias?

Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw Cafeterias

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:How are they in terms of quality and price? When a firm claims its cafeteria is subsidized, what does that usually mean in terms of prices? Which firms have the best (both quality and value) and worst cafeterias?

WSGR is hit or miss but it's free after 7pm. Dinners will sometimes (many times?) be some configuration of leftovers from lunch.

IIRC STB SV's cafeteria was free. Can't comment on the food but drinks were on point.

ETA: Wilson is weird about charging meals to clients. You are technically not allowed to do it but people push it through sometimes, mostly if they are working late on Friday/weekend nights.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How are they in terms of quality and price? When a firm claims its cafeteria is subsidized, what does that usually mean in terms of prices? Which firms have the best (both quality and value) and worst cafeterias?

WSGR is hit or miss but it's free after 7pm. Dinners will sometimes (many times?) be some configuration of leftovers from lunch.

IIRC STB SV's cafeteria was free. Can't comment on the food but drinks were on point.

At STB the drinks are free, everything else is highly subsidized. Food is good, especially the cookies. If you are in the office late, you can order out to any area restaurant or grab a pre-packaged meal from the cafeteria.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:25 am

now i wish i had taken STB...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:34 am

Had the best americano I've ever had at STB. :')

Wild Card

Bronze

Postby Wild Card » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:57 pm

Which NYC firms have cafeterias?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:10 pm

Man, cafeterias really suck. During the summer program the summers and attorneys get something like $30pp to spend on lunch whereas the poor schmucks in NYC get cafeteria vouchers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:45 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Man, cafeterias really suck. During the summer program the summers and attorneys get something like $30pp to spend on lunch whereas the poor schmucks in NYC get cafeteria vouchers.

NYC bros get like $65 pp and go prix fixe at Michelin starred restaurants...

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Man, cafeterias really suck. During the summer program the summers and attorneys get something like $30pp to spend on lunch whereas the poor schmucks in NYC get cafeteria vouchers.

Cool anon.

I mean, there were no shortages of super nice meals (I ate at Providence and Mélisse) but I know quite a few of my friends ate at the cafeteria if there was one. Obviously not every day, but still. Sucks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:02 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Cool anon.

I mean, there were no shortages of super nice meals (I ate at Providence and Mélisse) but I know quite a few of my friends ate at the cafeteria if there was one. Obviously not every day, but still. Sucks.

Idk. I appreciate having it at my firm. It is typically good and varied, with tons of healthy shit, for relatively cheap and really convenient. Like today, I was busy and just grabbed something and it took like 5 minutes and cost under $3. As a summer we were encouraged to spend the firm's money out, not eat in the cafeteria.

They also have a weekly cocktail party in the cafeteria dining area with top shelf liquor and awesome food.

ETA: I just don't understand any way that a subsidized firm cafeteria, with no other changes, is a negative.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Cool anon.

Idk. I appreciate having it at my firm. It is typically good and varied, with tons of healthy shit, for relatively cheap and really convenient. Like today, I was busy and just grabbed something and it took like 5 minutes and cost under $3. As a summer we were encouraged to spend the firm's money out, not eat in the cafeteria.

They also have a weekly cocktail party in the cafeteria dining area with top shelf liquor and awesome food.

ETA: I just don't understand any way that a subsidized firm cafeteria, with no other changes, is a negative.

While I can appreciate the convenience aspect of it, I just think it ties you to the office too much. Going out to get lunch, even if it's super quick, is sometimes very necessary. The cafeteria reminds me of tech campuses - everything you need so you don't leave.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:22 pm

But you can always leave if you prefer. It isn't mandatory.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:20 am

Wild Card wrote:Which NYC firms have cafeterias?

The ones I know about: STB, Milbank, GDC, Cadwalder, and I think Skadden.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:38 am

^ DPW as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:46 am

S&C also has a cafeteria with some pretty nice views.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:57 am

So does Debevoise.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:28 am

FWIW I haven't eaten at any of them, but I have it on good authority that Milbank has an excellent cafeteria that is super subsidized (e.g., flank steak @ $3). I wish my firm had a cafe so I didn't have to go out every day and spend $9-12 for lunch (this city is so goddamn expensive).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:37 am

Kirkland Chicago's building has a nice cafeteria ... good food, good variety. I don't know if its subsidized for employees... I don't work there. Work nearby and go there from time to time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:03 am

1styearlateral wrote:
Wild Card wrote:Which NYC firms have cafeterias?

The ones I know about: STB, Milbank, GDC, Cadwalder, and I think Skadden.

I thought GDC didn't have a cafeteria in NY?

Skadden definitely does.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:11 am

Shearman NYC has a subsidized cafeteria for breakfast and lunch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:11 am

Skadden NYC has a pretty nice cafeteria. It's subsidized so lunch usually runs $7-8, dinner maybe $8-10. For dinner, you can bill the meal to the client directly instead of getting reimbursed. They also have a sushi chef come once a week which is pretty good. They also have a large salad bar, soups, burger station, and soft serve ice cream.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:13 am

I wonder when biglaw will start building dorms in the basement of their firm offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:15 am

Do any of these cafeterias have special dietary accommodations? The cafeteria at my school has a kosher station, vegan station, etc. Or are they a lot smaller than that?

landshoes

Silver

Postby landshoes » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:16 am

Nebby wrote:I wonder when biglaw will start building dorms in the basement of their firm offices?

If it was cheap, I'd be thrilled.

Seriously biglaw, get on this and watch your recruitment ~*soar*~

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do any of these cafeterias have special dietary accommodations? The cafeteria at my school has a kosher station, vegan station, etc. Or are they a lot smaller than that?

They are generally good sized and accommodate all normal dietary restrictions, including those you mentioned.

Is anyone aware of a NY firm that doesn't have a cafeteria?

Return to “Legal Employment?