HR not replying emails...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

HR not replying emails...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:40 pm

Had a cb with one of my dream firms and they asked me about my interests in working in another office several days later which I took to be a good sign, but it has been radio silence since then even though I was told they would get back to me within xx days. Wrote to HR, got no response, hesitate about whether I should ask HR again or write to my OCI/CB interviewer to re-state my interests. I really want to secure the spot but I don't want to appear annoying/pathetic. Any advice? Thanks!

Nebby

Diamond

Re: HR not replying emails...

Postby Nebby » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a cb with one of my dream firms and they asked me about my interests in working in another office several days later which I took to be a good sign, but it has been radio silence since then even though I was told they would get back to me within xx days. Wrote to HR, got no response, hesitate about whether I should ask HR again or write to my OCI/CB interviewer to re-state my interests. I really want to secure the spot but I don't want to appear annoying/pathetic. Any advice? Thanks!

Let it cook for a week

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:57 pm

Move on.

Yardbird

Silver

Postby Yardbird » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:01 am

Best advice I ever got was to treat the interview process like the first interactions with a girl you want to start dating.

(1) Your resume is like your dating app card or when you meet at a bar - if they like you, they’ll get in touch for a screener.
(2) The screener is your text/phone/(insert dating app) game - do well and you secure the coveted callback (first date)
(3) The callback is your first date. Just like any first date, you might think it’s going great but that doesn’t mean the firm (the girl) thinks so too. If you get the offer right after (kiss?), then you’re in the clear.
(4) The wait after the callback is you hoping she liked you as much as you liked her. If you get the offer (second date), then you’re in the clear! If anything else but an offer (but not yet a rejection), treat as if you are still trying to get that second date (e.g. avoid coming off as desperate or needy, no “double texting” etc). If the firm hasn’t gotten back to you, it might just be busy (and usually hiring committees only meet once or twice a week). Whatever you do, don’t be *that guy*.
(5) Your summer is the dating period - don’t mess up
(6) Post-summer offer = home run

Best of luck!**

**not sober when this was written
Last edited by Yardbird on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sprout

Silver

Postby Sprout » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:21 am

Nebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a cb with one of my dream firms and they asked me about my interests in working in another office several days later which I took to be a good sign, but it has been radio silence since then even though I was told they would get back to me within xx days. Wrote to HR, got no response, hesitate about whether I should ask HR again or write to my OCI/CB interviewer to re-state my interests. I really want to secure the spot but I don't want to appear annoying/pathetic. Any advice? Thanks!

Let it cook for a week

This depends. You said “HR not returning emails?” Did you already send one or more? Or are you just saying that they said they would contact you and haven’t yet? I agree with Nebby. Wait a week, then follow up in a not rude way if you need to. Also depending on the firm size/location, sometimes shit just moves slow. Ime really really slow so don’t abandon all hope just because it’s been a few days

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:23 pm

Very similar situations here. I guess you want to be patient. I told myself to be patient too. Don't behave like you are very desperate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:50 pm

Yardbird wrote:Best advice I ever got was to treat the interview process like the first interactions with a girl you want to start dating.

(1) Your resume is like your dating app card or when you meet at a bar - if they like you, they’ll get in touch for a screener.
(2) The screener is your text/phone/(insert dating app) game - do well and you secure the coveted callback (first date)
(3) The callback is your first date. Just like any first date, you might think it’s going great but that doesn’t mean the firm (the girl) thinks so too. If you get the offer right after (kiss?), then you’re in the clear.
(4) The wait after the callback is you hoping she liked you as much as you liked her. If you get the offer (second date), then you’re in the clear! If anything else but an offer (but not yet a rejection), treat as if you are still trying to get that second date (e.g. avoid coming off as desperate or needy, no “double texting” etc). If the firm hasn’t gotten back to you, it might just be busy (and usually hiring committees only meet once or twice a week). Whatever you do, don’t be *that guy*.
(5) Your summer is the dating period - don’t mess up
(6) Post-summer offer = home run

Best of luck!**

**not sober when this was written

Thanks bro. That's a very interesting theory. My girl almost hinted that she wanted to kiss me but decided to keep me waiting. Don't know what changed her mind...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:54 pm

Sprout wrote:
Nebby wrote:

Let it cook for a week

This depends. You said “HR not returning emails?” Did you already send one or more? Or are you just saying that they said they would contact you and haven’t yet? I agree with Nebby. Wait a week, then follow up in a not rude way if you need to. Also depending on the firm size/location, sometimes shit just moves slow. Ime really really slow so don’t abandon all hope just because it’s been a few days

I already sent one. It's just I always assumed people will respond even though they are not interested in you.

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:21 am

Have you tried calling from a restricted number or "coincidentally" driving by their offices or houses? Persistence is key...

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sprout wrote:
Nebby wrote:

Let it cook for a week

I already sent one. It's just I always assumed people will respond even though they are not interested in you.

When did you send one? On what date?

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sprout wrote:
Nebby wrote:

Let it cook for a week

That's a problem right there. Firms don't owe you any courtesy. Yeah, it would be nice. But they don't have to. They would rather use their time and resources on the people they're going to bring in.

Return to “Legal Employment?