SV/SF law firms do not like to hire older people? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SV/SF law firms do not like to hire older people?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:50 pm

I want to stay away from the discrimination talk here.

There are a bunch of articles that point out that a lot of IT companies in SV/SF do not hire older people (age +40). Do law firms in SF/SV also have that sentiment towards (pretty) older applicants?

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: SV/SF law firms do not like to hire older people?

Post by rpupkin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I want to stay away from the discrimination talk here.

There are a bunch of articles that point out that a lot of IT companies in SV/SF do not hire older people (age +40). Do law firms in SF/SV also have that sentiment towards (pretty) older applicants?
My sense is that you find more older junior associates in SF/SV than in NYC or DC.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:26 pm

No. Having relevant business experience is super helpful in an emerging companies practice, and for ancillary practices such as tech trans. Teams tend to be pretty lean, and clients are relatively cost sensitive, so it helps to have someone that doesn't need to figure out the business side of things. Relevant experience is also helpful (and advanced degrees are often required) for patent pros and lit work.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:18 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I want to stay away from the discrimination talk here.

My sense is that you find more older junior associates in SF/SV than in NYC or DC.
Now that you mention it, I have seen the same -- think it might have to do with the value placed on prior academic and work experience in tech? Most of the associates I have encountered with PhDs etc have been in SV.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:26 pm

Are you sure it's not just because of the legions of IP attorneys in the area?

fwiw I have encountered the same. It might also have to do with how picky the market is in general.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:27 am

dabigchina wrote:Are you sure it's not just because of the legions of IP attorneys in the area?
I think that's one of the reasons. Probably the main reason.

Another possible factor: the Bay Area is more family friendly than NYC, so it attracts more associates with spouses/kids.

anon3030

New

Post by anon3030 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:13 pm

I'm older, non-IP, and was hired for Bay Area office.

I am attracted because it is family friendly, and I think the office was attracted to me because it is leaner and seem to value my work experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:59 pm

They trend older, if for no other reason than lots of people go to law school and do some sort of IP-related practice after aging out of these same tech jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”