SV/SF law firms do not like to hire older people?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

SV/SF law firms do not like to hire older people?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:50 pm

I want to stay away from the discrimination talk here.

There are a bunch of articles that point out that a lot of IT companies in SV/SF do not hire older people (age +40). Do law firms in SF/SV also have that sentiment towards (pretty) older applicants?

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: SV/SF law firms do not like to hire older people?

Postby rpupkin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I want to stay away from the discrimination talk here.

There are a bunch of articles that point out that a lot of IT companies in SV/SF do not hire older people (age +40). Do law firms in SF/SV also have that sentiment towards (pretty) older applicants?

My sense is that you find more older junior associates in SF/SV than in NYC or DC.

SFSpartan

Silver
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Re: SV/SF law firms do not like to hire older people?

Postby SFSpartan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:26 pm

No. Having relevant business experience is super helpful in an emerging companies practice, and for ancillary practices such as tech trans. Teams tend to be pretty lean, and clients are relatively cost sensitive, so it helps to have someone that doesn't need to figure out the business side of things. Relevant experience is also helpful (and advanced degrees are often required) for patent pros and lit work.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: SV/SF law firms do not like to hire older people?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:18 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I want to stay away from the discrimination talk here.

There are a bunch of articles that point out that a lot of IT companies in SV/SF do not hire older people (age +40). Do law firms in SF/SV also have that sentiment towards (pretty) older applicants?

My sense is that you find more older junior associates in SF/SV than in NYC or DC.

Now that you mention it, I have seen the same -- think it might have to do with the value placed on prior academic and work experience in tech? Most of the associates I have encountered with PhDs etc have been in SV.

dabigchina

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: SV/SF law firms do not like to hire older people?

Postby dabigchina » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:26 pm

Are you sure it's not just because of the legions of IP attorneys in the area?

fwiw I have encountered the same. It might also have to do with how picky the market is in general.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: SV/SF law firms do not like to hire older people?

Postby rpupkin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:27 am

dabigchina wrote:Are you sure it's not just because of the legions of IP attorneys in the area?

I think that's one of the reasons. Probably the main reason.

Another possible factor: the Bay Area is more family friendly than NYC, so it attracts more associates with spouses/kids.

anon3030

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: SV/SF law firms do not like to hire older people?

Postby anon3030 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:13 pm

I'm older, non-IP, and was hired for Bay Area office.

I am attracted because it is family friendly, and I think the office was attracted to me because it is leaner and seem to value my work experience.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SV/SF law firms do not like to hire older people?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:59 pm

They trend older, if for no other reason than lots of people go to law school and do some sort of IP-related practice after aging out of these same tech jobs.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.