Seriously thinking of quitting law school after 1L and OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Seriously thinking of quitting law school after 1L and OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:22 pm

Anyone ever feel like law is just a glutted field? You go in there with big hopes and your 2 years in and you're like man wtf was I thinking.

About me: I have no job lined up. No nothing. No connects. No networking skills. All I have is me. I don't have a wife, kids, or even a girlfriend. Only 2 friends. Am a serious minded and reserved person but people probably see me as a rebel because of this. Firms think I'm a nobody and just a person. I hate how law school has dreaded me. I have no social life. I barley drink. I don't smoke. I'm always thinking about the next big thing but people just don't give me the opportunity because unfortunately everything involves people these days and they just aren't buying me these days or my talk. I'm honest and sincere. I think I'm smarter than most people but people just don't buy it and give me an opportunity to prove my self. I'm gunning against everybody in my class just to get a job?? WTF? Did not even make moot court. Am probably going to fail my classes this year. I attend a shitty T1 that should actually be a T4 because the school just doesn't give a fuck. I never miss an opportunity but I just don't see any more opportunities so I'm just pretty much done and over. I have no motivation, passion, or even a heart.

What should I do, why the fuck do I feel like this? I feel like my hope is gone. Also I struck out of OCI. I was top 11 percent. I mass mailed and had no luck. No JOB!! :( I'll have fun explaining that to my peers huh, no fucking job! Should I just go get a job at McDonald's and work my up to corporate management? Or work as a hotel maid and save up to buy a house and start over. I just turned 23 and I am not happy.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Seriously thinking of quitting law school after 1L and OCI

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:30 pm

First, don't be afraid to get psychiatric health. Most schools offer some programs. Take advantage of them. Get your head right, the rest will fall in line.

Good luck.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:35 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:First, don't be afraid to get psychiatric health. Most schools offer some programs. Take advantage of them. Get your head right, the rest will fall in line.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:38 pm

My mental health is well. I've talked about this before. I need opportunities I don't see any!!! :(

bearsfan23

Gold

Postby bearsfan23 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:40 pm

rpupkin wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:First, don't be afraid to get psychiatric health. Most schools offer some programs. Take advantage of them. Get your head right, the rest will fall in line.

Good luck.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My mental health is well. I've talked about this before. I need opportunities I don't see any!!! :(

I know this is how it feels but that's the (situational, unsurprising) depression talking. And a lot of the things you're talking about (friends, how people see you) are not about your employment opportunities, and getting help to deal with grappling with this situation is totally normal and beneficial.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My mental health is well. I've talked about this before. I need opportunities I don't see any!!! :(

Anonymous User wrote:I have no social life.

Anonymous User wrote: I have no motivation, passion, or even a heart.

Your mental health is not well. Seek help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:54 pm

Most of this is due to OCI and getting no job in big law. I mean my life is worthless. I did not get into a T14. I was top 11 percent and still not good enough. You know what I'm not a fucking lawyer or will be. Calling someone a lawyer that went to a shitty law school is a disgrace well for me at least. I'm confident I'll pass the bar the first time but please don't call me an attorney. I'm nothing... I've ruined my life as is.

I have nothing else to do but to finish and maybe move on from this hurdle.

The real lawyers are at HYS. The real legal minds. Not me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:04 pm

drop out man. law school is not worth your mental health

accidental anon: this is blackfish

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:drop out man. law school is not worth your mental health

I don't think this advice is helpful. Perhaps OP will ultimately decide that dropping out is right for him, but he shouldn't make that decision with his current state of mind. You're assuming that law school is the direct cause of OP's depression, but that's not what it looks like to me. I don't think that dropping out will address OP's issues.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Most of this is due to OCI and getting no job in big law. I mean my life is worthless. I did not get into a T14. I was top 11 percent and still not good enough. You know what I'm not a fucking lawyer or will be. Calling someone a lawyer that went to a shitty law school is a disgrace well for me at least. I'm confident I'll pass the bar the first time but please don't call me an attorney. I'm nothing... I've ruined my life as is.

I have nothing else to do but to finish and maybe move on from this hurdle.

The real lawyers are at HYS. The real legal minds. Not me.

None of this is true. Again, this is depression talking. I would strongly suggest that you talk to someone about this - it's a difficult experience and there's no shame in it.

Blackfish

New

Postby Blackfish » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Last edited by Blackfish on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:19 pm

I felt really down beginning of 2L knowing everyone had something lined up when I had nothing.

One thing I learned from law school is that being first isn't always the best thing. I didn't get my current job until close to graduation, yet I'm happier than most of my friends who've been "employed" since 1L summer.

If this is what you want to do, go hustle. Not getting something on your first try doesn't mean you'll never get it.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:21 pm

Blackfish wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:drop out man. law school is not worth your mental health

I don't think this advice is helpful. Perhaps OP will ultimately decide that dropping out is right for him, but he shouldn't make that decision with his current state of mind. You're assuming that law school is the direct cause of OP's depression, but that's not what it looks like to me. I don't think that dropping out will address OP's issues.

dude wanted biglaw from a T4 and struck out. he's unhappy there and the career path from a T4 for someone who struck out isnt looking that great either. whether LS is the root cause or not, dropping out of LS may be the step in the right direction both financially and mentally no?

Not that it really matters given that OP is depressed, but your facts are wrong. OP is at a T1, not a T4. He's in the top 11% of his class.

Look, even if OP really were at a T4, and even if he had poor grades, I think the right course would be to seek professional help before making any major life decisions. But the fact that OP is doing well (academically) at a decent school makes the situation even plainer.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:09 pm

I think it's possible that OP both is dealing with some mental health issues that s/he should address AND should consider dropping out of school.

Honestly, it's something of a miracle that law school is the right choice for ANYONE who enters at 22, 23. It's a specific career with plenty of its own drawbacks limitations and a hugely expensive barrier to entry, but people sign up for it as if it's a reasonable default choice. If you don't know what you want to do, the default should be ANYTHING other than an expensive grad program. There's a lot of shit associated with being a lawyer and if it isn't for OP, then there's no sense in throwing good money and time after bad, out of some Protestant work-ethic inspired notion that it must be the "depression talking."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:12 pm

Op here, most of the things mentioned above have been occurring constantly through my life. I mean it's a part of my personality and I've worked l with it and have been successful. At one point, I thought I needed mental help. Hell the doctor told me to get lost and that I'm fine and I should not worry too much. And indeed I've been fine. For example, I've never had a social life since I was like 4 years old. I always did my own thing. I'm so introverted that I did not like spending much time with people. During my free time, I always read.

I've never really had a girlfriend up until this point. I've been single my whole life. I never made friends since I was a kid or always had a hard time. Point is, it's irrelevant. I've made it this far and have done well. The only thing thing that's really changed is, I've lost motivation. I guess that may be enough to put me in the "danger" zone but man spending so much money just to be qualified as much as others doesn't really help you get into BigLaw."

Oh well, gotta keep going...
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lnsl123

Bronze

Postby lnsl123 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:13 pm

Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:29 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I think it's possible that OP both is dealing with some mental health issues that s/he should address AND should consider dropping out of school.

Honestly, it's something of a miracle that law school is the right choice for ANYONE who enters at 22, 23. It's a specific career with plenty of its own drawbacks limitations and a hugely expensive barrier to entry, but people sign up for it as if it's a reasonable default choice. If you don't know what you want to do, the default should be ANYTHING other than an expensive grad program. There's a lot of shit associated with being a lawyer and if it isn't for OP, then there's no sense in throwing good money and time after bad, out of some Protestant work-ethic inspired notion that it must be the "depression talking."

To be clear: I have no idea if the OP should or shouldn't be an attorney, or should or shouldn't drop out. But I didn't mean anything to with the Protestant work-ethic by my comment. What I meant by "the depression talking" was OP's conviction that he was worthless, not a real legal mind, can't call himself a real lawyer, isn't good enough, etc. My husband has struggled with depression for years and one of the worst things about it is how it convinces you that you don't feel bad about yourself because you're depressed, you feel bad about yourself because (you think, wrongly) you are in fact objectively a piece of shit and your life is terrible and you have accomplished nothing and are worth nothing. The depression may well be situational (responding to lack of success at OCI) and you may well have actual problems to deal with (lack of success at OCI). But not getting a biglaw job at OCI does NOT mean that someone is not good enough, not a fucking lawyer, can't call themselves a lawyer, is nothing, has ruined their life, and isn't a real legal mind. So when I say "that's the depression talking" that's not me saying "buck up and get back to work." That's me saying, OP, you feel like a failure and nothing not because you *have* failed, but because you're depressed, and you deserve to feel good about yourself and what you have accomplished and what you can expect to accomplish in the future, even if things aren't going the way you want them to right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:37 pm

There is such stigma attached to men with mental illness it doesn't surprise me you were brushed off if you sought help. The same thing happened to me back when I was in the worst of my depression. That doesn't mean you should not seek help now.

Did you go into law school thinking you wanted to work at a big firm, or were you thinking you would be fine with other kinds of work? Answer that question and it should help you decide whether dropping out is the right answer. I was a near strike-out at OCI, and before my only offer rode in on a white horse I was having feelings somewhat similar to what you express here, but I was taking solace in the fact that I had never really bet on being a big law lawyer anyway.

eyeofvigilence

Bronze

Postby eyeofvigilence » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:41 pm

Don't panic.

Striking out at OCI is not the end of a legal career. Not getting BigLaw is not the end of a legal career. Although you may have struck out at OCI, you are still in a great position to end up with a legitimate legal job.

Top 11% at a T1 is an enviable position. You may be discouraged right now, but I honestly believe that things will work out for you.

Don't make any rash decisions. You honestly need a little counseling before you decide what you're going to do. I disagree with the people telling you to drop out. If your grades were poor or you were at a worse school, then I might agree.

If you feel like the daily activities of law school are what's really affecting you and making you feel this way, then a year off might be in your best interest. If it is the discouragement of striking out at OCI and not getting BigLaw, then I think you're situation is fixable.

The best advice I can give: seek out a counselor before you make any decision.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:52 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I think it's possible that OP both is dealing with some mental health issues that s/he should address AND should consider dropping out of school.

Like Nony, I don't know whether OP should continue in law school. If you'll allow me a clumsy analogy: imagine a friend tells you that he wakes up every morning and he can't stand the sight of his wife, and he hates the way his breakfast takes, and he has no friends. Do you tell your friend that he should divorce his wife? I don't think so. I mean, maybe your friend is in a bad marriage, and maybe he would be better off without his wife, but it's clear that your friend has broader issues that are clouding his perception of all kinds of things. It's probably better to advise your friend to address the bigger issue (depression) before telling him to change discrete situations that may look quite different to your friend when he's not depressed.

To return to the OP's situation, it may well be that—even if law school is not the direct (or sole) cause of his depression—the OP cannot effectively treat his depression without taking a leave of absence from school. But none of us can figure that out based on his TLS posts. He needs to start with a professional.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:57 pm

Yo OP,

I am at a T14 and struck out at OCI, and it is absolutely devastating. I am MMing and trying to keep the light alive by having a few small firm interviews down the road lined up, but it is tough; really tough. I consider myself as someone with very strong motivation and someone that does not get "depressed" easily, at all.

However, sitting in class and hearing classmates talk to each other: "Yeah, I have a Gibson Dunn offer but I'm still waiting on Skadden. How are you doing? " "Great, accepted my offer yesterday at Jones Day -- hard to focus now on class haha" is crushing.

I'm sitting there listening to this, jealous as could be, depressed, mad, confused, totally unmotivated to listen in class.

You're not alone brother.

Isn't it strange that employers cannot discriminate on race/sex/etc, but then they choose who to hire (of qualified students) on arbitrary things like "whyd you go to law school?" and deciding if you'd be a good "fit" with the firm? Isnt that JUST as discriminatory in a sense, as it is so arbitrary? "Yeah he's nice, within our grade range at a T14, but I just didnt really get the sense he'd be a good "fit""
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 am

OP, I am just like you, except the female version.

T14, top 20%, 35 screeners, everything seems to be going well except that my personality must be so hideous and revolting that I struck out anyway.

Really considering dropping out, and going into a career where I never have to talk to anyone, ever. I like people a lot, but they don't like me. It seems that every time I speak to someone, I just end up making them absolutely disgusted by me. I don't know why I chose to do law anyway. I thought this personality issue was something that I can fix, but I thought wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:07 am

I'm at UC Berkeley, and our on-campus therapist sent out a mass email saying she is so overbooked she is coming to the school more often to fit in more appointments. Seems others have struck out and are facing serious biglaw/SA letdown depression, like me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:13 am

Op here,

To the last person that replied, not UC Berkly, wow. 35 screeners is good. T14 your worth something. I am a low T1. I'm worth nothing because in reality low T1 students don't have much potential. You may make a good lawyer. Don't change for anyone stay the way you are. If people call it depression let them.

To the rest, I hate when people say I'm depressed or some shit wtf. You fucking hear the term mental illness and without knowing anything about the person, you fucking drop that word in an unrelated scenario and think that oh this person must be depressed because I heard the term mental illness somewhere without doing my research and knowing what it is, but this person probably is what it is, so I'm going to inappropriately drop that term here because it makes sense to. Lmfao. No wrong. Fucking name droppers, probably don't know shit about mental illness. Would love to see yalls psychology degrees. Haha jk but I love you guys TLS users are awesome!

I'm not depressed. I don't like people. I'm very judge mental when it comes to people and I don't see most people have good intentions anyways. I choose not to have a social life because I don't want to be taken advantage of or anything.

Return to “Legal Employment?