(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:55 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Re: Quitting after a week for higher pay? How?

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:43 pm

I mean, salary history and salary requirements are different things. Salary history is what it sounds like, though I wouldn't begrudge you if you fibbed a little on those numbers. Salary requirements are generally the amount of money it would take for you to accept the position. So if its 140K, then put 140K.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:48 pm

tyroneslothrop1 wrote:I mean, salary history and salary requirements are different things. Salary history is what it sounds like, though I wouldn't begrudge you if you fibbed a little on those numbers. Salary requirements are generally the amount of money it would take for you to accept the position. So if its 140K, then put 140K.

She asked to bring salary requirement. If I say 140K as a junior and their senior attorney gets 120K, am I auto ding with wtf is this guy stare?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am at an 8hr/day billable for 74K firm in a major market. I like the people working here but the pay just seems too low even for a junior associate considering there is no bonus until 2 yrs in. Ppl have told me not to feel bad about leaving so soon bcuz the pay is horrible.

I have other interviews lined up. Some firms are asking for salary requirement. How should I respond? I dont want them to match my already low offer by a grand or two. Can I realistically ask for 140K from a midsize firm just outside a major city? Also can I not mention or lie about already having accepted an offer?

You can ask for whatever you'd like, but $140K is well above market pay for a first-year associate at a midsize firm.

You should read the thread linked below. In fact, I wonder if you're the same poster:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=268530

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:38 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am at an 8hr/day billable for 74K firm in a major market. I like the people working here but the pay just seems too low even for a junior associate considering there is no bonus until 2 yrs in. Ppl have told me not to feel bad about leaving so soon bcuz the pay is horrible.

I have other interviews lined up. Some firms are asking for salary requirement. How should I respond? I dont want them to match my already low offer by a grand or two. Can I realistically ask for 140K from a midsize firm just outside a major city? Also can I not mention or lie about already having accepted an offer?

You can ask for whatever you'd like, but $140K is well above market pay for a first-year associate at a midsize firm.

You should read the thread linked below. In fact, I wonder if you're the same poster:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=268530

Nah man, this OP makes 74k/year, not 75k.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:18 pm

rpupkin wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=268530

I have no idea what midsize firm salary looks like for a firm size of about 50 attorneys (or less) in a more suburb of a major city. I cant seem to find a good range to ask for based on online findings. I also have an interview with a national firm and my guess is they have a salary set for 1st years.

Can you point me to one if you know? Thanks for your help.

Return to “Legal Employment�