Is there anywhere to find firm benefits? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is there anywhere to find firm benefits?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:47 pm

I'm trying to compare retirement plans/matches for various firms. Is this information publicly available?

Note: Anon in case we start discussing specific firms.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Is there anywhere to find firm benefits?

Post by rpupkin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:00 pm

The information is publicly available if the firm makes it available on its web site. Otherwise, you'll have to ask the firm.
ETA: Although there are exceptions, there generally isn't much variation in the benefits offered by big law firms.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:03 pm

If you Google Firm Name 401k you might be able to find the plan documents online. However the health insurance info and other fringes you can get only from HR normally (who is usually the recruiting POC for OCI), as they tend to change annually

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:33 pm

rpupkin wrote:ETA: Although there are exceptions, there generally isn't much variation in the benefits offered by big law firms.
This is the critical part. Very few of them match for associates. I also have no idea how the investment options compare, but I highly doubt they are so different that it is a relevant concern when comparing between firms.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:48 pm

Do health ins. plans generally suck for firms? I already know I'm not getting 401k match, haven't looked into anything else yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:45 pm

cron1834 wrote:Do health ins. plans generally suck for firms? I already know I'm not getting 401k match, haven't looked into anything else yet.
It depends. It's not that the plans suck. In fact, since the partners choose them, they're getting old, and they have lots of money, they're usually quite good. But some firms pay more of the premiums than others. Also, some firms offer more in terms of choices.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:31 pm

bk1 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:ETA: Although there are exceptions, there generally isn't much variation in the benefits offered by big law firms.
This is the critical part. Very few of them match for associates. I also have no idea how the investment options compare, but I highly doubt they are so different that it is a relevant concern when comparing between firms.
Knowing that very few match: do we have a list of which ones do? Couldn't find easily via search.

ETA: Should have googled it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:04 am

Benefits are largely similar across top NYC firms but, anecdotally, there's some variance on healthcare. At S&C, where I work, a Cigna in-network only plan is provided at no cost. Spoke with a friend at cleary who said their cheapest plan is $400+ a month. And ATL reported that debevoise moved to only high deductible plans because of Cadillac tax. So perhaps worth comparing if you have high medical expenses/complex needs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:20 am

There was some discussion in the 180k thread a few months back about variance between firms as to their treatment of the post-3L subsidy, with some being a stipend and some being a salary advance.

Throwing that out there as another topic worth considering, though I don't know the best way to find the info.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:There was some discussion in the 180k thread a few months back about variance between firms as to their treatment of the post-3L subsidy, with some being a stipend and some being a salary advance.

Throwing that out there as another topic worth considering, though I don't know the best way to find the info.
Are u looking at particular firms, im sure someone has the info

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There was some discussion in the 180k thread a few months back about variance between firms as to their treatment of the post-3L subsidy, with some being a stipend and some being a salary advance.

Are u looking at particular firms, im sure someone has the info
I would be curious to get this info regarding Sidley Austin

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”