Do Firms Cover "Second Look" Expenses?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do Firms Cover "Second Look" Expenses?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:19 am

I recently went to NYC from an out-of-town school to visit two biglaw firms for a "second look." One of the firms paid for my hotel and flights, but obviously during the three days in NYC I spent money on Ubers/food. Would those be subject to a refund, as the case was during callback season?

Anonymous User

Re: Do Firms Cover "Second Look" Expenses?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:56 am

Second-lookers amaze me... You literally go to the firm and interview... then after offered, you say, "can I come back and check out the office again?".

I just dont understand. What are you going to do on your second look? Look into offices? Go to lunch with an associate? Seems like such a waste and totally ineffective.

Also, I'm still looking for an SA so theres the disclaimer for salt.

malleus discentium

Silver

Postby malleus discentium » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:01 am

Whatever their reimbursement rules were during CBs should apply to second looks. Usually you get one day of expenses per firm, so you could conceivably run into trouble for whatever you spent on day three. But unless it was egregious I doubt you'll have a problem.
Anonymous User wrote:Second-lookers amaze me... You literally go to the firm and interview... then after offered, you say, "can I come back and check out the office again?".

I just dont understand. What are you going to do on your second look? Look into offices? Go to lunch with an associate? Seems like such a waste and totally ineffective.

Salt is a pretty good word for this post.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Second-lookers amaze me... You literally go to the firm and interview... then after offered, you say, "can I come back and check out the office again?".

I'm not going to out you right now because you're in a tough place right now, but this is anon abuse. You need to dial back the salt on a perfectly reasonable question and continuing to post in this vein will lead to outing and/or a ban.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:39 am

I did a second look to meet more of the people in the practice group I am interested in. It was very helpful in getting a better picture because I was able to meet with people as they had time on a normal day in a much more relaxed environment. It also gives you the opportunity to ask much more direct questions than you normally would in an interview (why you instead of Firm X).

I paid for mine and hadn't planned on asking to be reimbursed but the firm volunteered as I was leaving. Makes me think it's pretty much standard practice.

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:13 pm

People are signing up, as rising 2Ls, for the job that they in all likelihood will be at 5 years from that point. They do so having likely spoken to one attorney at the screener interview, and at most 6 at the callback, each of which conversation is somewhat sterile or contrived because the candidate is pitching themselves for employment.

And you really want to say it is "totally ineffective" to literally double the amount of people you speak to and to do so in a completely different dynamic where you can actually gather info and not have to discuss your 1L summer job and why you want to do litigation?

Sorry, you are totally off base on this one - if used how they are intended (e.g. to gather information as opposed to "oh i like being flown somewhere and put in a hotel, why not?") second looks are incredibly useful and i'd consider it borderline indefensible to not take advantage if one is even slightly torn between firms.

To OP - everything from the moment you step foot in a cab to the airport in your hometown to the moment you get out of a cab upon return to your hometown is credibly reimbursable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:26 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I'm not going to out you right now because you're in a tough place right now, but this is anon abuse. You need to dial back the salt on a perfectly reasonable question and continuing to post in this vein will lead to outing and/or a ban.

thanks for understanding my situation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

this gotta be one of the most oddly polite conversations I have read...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

this gotta be one of the most oddly polite conversations I have read...

Nony understands I am mentally unstable right now b/c OCI strikeout and lifelong dream of biglaw is literally falling apart.

Return to “Legal Employment�