2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 324691
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:14 pm

h2go wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sources in the industry are expecting a slight decrease across the board due to the salary increases, but would not be surprised if Cravath tries to separate themselves from the peons of the V50-V100.


Most of the V50-V100 don't really give market bonuses anyways.


disclaimer: 2L

if this is the case, why would the higher bonuses be considered "market"?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter

Diamond
Posts: 17152
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
h2go wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sources in the industry are expecting a slight decrease across the board due to the salary increases, but would not be surprised if Cravath tries to separate themselves from the peons of the V50-V100.


Most of the V50-V100 don't really give market bonuses anyways.


disclaimer: 2L

if this is the case, why would the higher bonuses be considered "market"?

Because many of those firms will announce the headline number as matching Cravath but a lot of their associates won't meet the narrow requirements needed to get the full Cravath scale.

And also because we call it the Cravath scale. Whatever Cravath pays is market.

EIWIsMyFetish

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:29 am

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby EIWIsMyFetish » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
h2go wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sources in the industry are expecting a slight decrease across the board due to the salary increases, but would not be surprised if Cravath tries to separate themselves from the peons of the V50-V100.


Most of the V50-V100 don't really give market bonuses anyways.


disclaimer: 2L

if this is the case, why would the higher bonuses be considered "market"?

Because many of those firms will announce the headline number as matching Cravath but a lot of their associates won't meet the narrow requirements needed to get the full Cravath scale.

And also because we call it the Cravath scale. Whatever Cravath pays is market.


yea i get that, I suppose I just always thought "market" was synonymous with "what most peer firms will pay" with 'peer' being exceedingly loose (extend beyond V100)

glad im learning these things now, though, instead of sounding like an idiot later.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold
Posts: 2020
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:51 pm

EIWIsMyFetish wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
h2go wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sources in the industry are expecting a slight decrease across the board due to the salary increases, but would not be surprised if Cravath tries to separate themselves from the peons of the V50-V100.


Most of the V50-V100 don't really give market bonuses anyways.


disclaimer: 2L

if this is the case, why would the higher bonuses be considered "market"?

Because many of those firms will announce the headline number as matching Cravath but a lot of their associates won't meet the narrow requirements needed to get the full Cravath scale.

And also because we call it the Cravath scale. Whatever Cravath pays is market.


yea i get that, I suppose I just always thought "market" was synonymous with "what most peer firms will pay" with 'peer' being exceedingly loose (extend beyond V100)

glad im learning these things now, though, instead of sounding like an idiot later.


If they don't pay top of the market, they're not a peer firm.

The plurality of law firms pay entry-level associates $45k-60k, but you wouldn't call that "market," even though low-level shitlaw employs most of the lawyers in America. And why? Because you don't give a shit about those firms, in the same way I don't give a shit about Bryan Cave.

anonnymouse

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby anonnymouse » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:06 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone done the legwork on what date in November or December bonuses were first announced for the past, say, 5 years?

anonnymouse wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:Can someone data mine when bonuses were announced historically?

TYIA

Already did this like a week ago in anticipation (all announcements by CSM unless otherwise noted):

2014: 11/21 (preempted by STB; edit: I think CSM matched STB on 11/24 before getting falcon punched by DPW)
2013: 12/2
2012: 11/26
2011: 11/28
2010: 11/22
2009: 11/2
2008: 11/20 (preempted by Skadden on 11/19)
2007: 10/29

The only other year with a December announcement in the last 9 was 2013. Pre-ITE, seems like CSM announced in advance of Thanksgiving. ITE, announcements have been the Monday following Thanksgiving (except last year and this year).

Last year was weirdly late with the announcement not until December 7.


Thanks Tiago. Knew I had done this, was too lazy to find it.

Good to see this thread pick up a bit. Cravath better announce in two weeks lest the chorus of NOBONUS heavily affect associate morale...

Anonymous User
Posts: 324691
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:12 pm

Associate morale is extraordinarily low at my firm given that we are just too damn busy and need more bodies. Deals are too leanly staffed to the point where partners keep making awkward pleas not to give up and repeatedly thanking us for running on overdrive. Also, at our recent state of the firm presentation we were told that it's been a pretty gangbusters year.

Bonuses better be YUGE.

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1702
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:13 pm

EIWIsMyFetish wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
h2go wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sources in the industry are expecting a slight decrease across the board due to the salary increases, but would not be surprised if Cravath tries to separate themselves from the peons of the V50-V100.


Most of the V50-V100 don't really give market bonuses anyways.


disclaimer: 2L

if this is the case, why would the higher bonuses be considered "market"?

Because many of those firms will announce the headline number as matching Cravath but a lot of their associates won't meet the narrow requirements needed to get the full Cravath scale.

And also because we call it the Cravath scale. Whatever Cravath pays is market.


yea i get that, I suppose I just always thought "market" was synonymous with "what most peer firms will pay" with 'peer' being exceedingly loose (extend beyond V100)

glad im learning these things now, though, instead of sounding like an idiot later.


Market because they set the rate (for comp and bonuses). Other firms either match, match for some folks, or don't match at all.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324691
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:14 pm

Associate morale is extraordinarily low at my firm given that we are just too damn busy and need more bodies. Deals are too leanly staffed to the point where partners keep making awkward pleas not to give up and repeatedly thanking us for running on overdrive. Also, at our recent state of the firm presentation we were told that it's been a pretty gangbusters year.

Bonuses better be YUGE.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324691
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Associate morale is extraordinarily low at my firm given that we are just too damn busy and need more bodies. Deals are too leanly staffed to the point where partners keep making awkward pleas not to give up and repeatedly thanking us for running on overdrive. Also, at our recent state of the firm presentation we were told that it's been a pretty gangbusters year.

Bonuses better be YUGE.


This sounds too familiar. I can't tell if we're at the same firm or this is just across the board. It's pretty ridiculous how lean deals are staffed, with no relief in sight. Hire some damn laterals.

User avatar
EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:30 am

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby EncyclopediaOrange » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Associate morale is extraordinarily low at my firm given that we are just too damn busy and need more bodies. Deals are too leanly staffed to the point where partners keep making awkward pleas not to give up and repeatedly thanking us for running on overdrive. Also, at our recent state of the firm presentation we were told that it's been a pretty gangbusters year.

Bonuses better be YUGE.


This sounds too familiar. I can't tell if we're at the same firm or this is just across the board. It's pretty ridiculous how lean deals are staffed, with no relief in sight. Hire some damn laterals.


This seems like the beginning of a great office relationship. Please turn this into a romcom someday. Thank you.

Abbie Doobie

Silver
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby Abbie Doobie » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:09 pm

#boneus2016

User avatar
MCFC

Platinum
Posts: 9695
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby MCFC » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:26 pm

Bump in price of Metrocard = bump in bonus.

anonnymouse

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby anonnymouse » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:27 am

Two years ago, STB kicked off the wildest bonus bonanza since Spring bonuses on the Friday before Thanksgiving.

Help us STB, you're our only hope.

anonnymouse

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby anonnymouse » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:16 am

It's a real travesty that I had to go to the second page to find this thread on the Monday before Thanksgiving.

So can we start the chorus of NOBONUS yet? Or do we have to wait until next Monday?

gaddockteeg

Bronze
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby gaddockteeg » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:11 pm

very excited for this thread.

User avatar
LaLiLuLeLo

Silver
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:54 am

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:11 pm

anonnymouse wrote:Two years ago, STB kicked off the wildest bonus bonanza since Spring bonuses on the Friday before Thanksgiving.

Help us STB, you're our only hope.


Mm I'm down for a Cravath STB double team in 2016.

Abbie Doobie

Silver
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby Abbie Doobie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:31 pm

anonnymouse wrote:It's a real travesty that I had to go to the second page to find this thread on the Monday before Thanksgiving.

So can we start the chorus of NOBONUS yet? Or do we have to wait until next Monday?



It's already been started:

Abbie Doobie wrote:#boneus2016

anonnymouse

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby anonnymouse » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:59 pm

Abbie Doobie wrote:
anonnymouse wrote:It's a real travesty that I had to go to the second page to find this thread on the Monday before Thanksgiving.

So can we start the chorus of NOBONUS yet? Or do we have to wait until next Monday?



It's already been started:

Abbie Doobie wrote:#boneus2016


BONEUS and NOBONUS aren't the same though. All NOBONUSes BONEUS, but not all BONEUSes are NOBONUS.

Abbie Doobie

Silver
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby Abbie Doobie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:32 pm

anonnymouse wrote:
Abbie Doobie wrote:
anonnymouse wrote:It's a real travesty that I had to go to the second page to find this thread on the Monday before Thanksgiving.

So can we start the chorus of NOBONUS yet? Or do we have to wait until next Monday?



It's already been started:

Abbie Doobie wrote:#boneus2016


BONEUS and NOBONUS aren't the same though. All NOBONUSes BONEUS, but not all BONEUSes are NOBONUS.


ah but then if BONEUS incorporates NOBONUS + other things, isn't NOBONUS implicitly invoked (albeit non-exclusively) by calling out all things falling under the BONEUS umbrella?

LSAT arguments aside, how about this:

*knock* *knock*

me: who's there?

(is NOBONUS)

me: fuck :(

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold
Posts: 2020
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:03 am

anonnymouse wrote:It's a real travesty that I had to go to the second page to find this thread on the Monday before Thanksgiving.

So can we start the chorus of NOBONUS yet? Or do we have to wait until next Monday?


"We are pleased to announce that the year-end bonus amount for each associate class is as follows:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Sincerely,
Allen Parker"

anonnymouse

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby anonnymouse » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:07 pm

Bumping to keep this thread on page 1 so that it's easily accessible when the announcement comes out this afternoon.

Because I'd really rather not wait another week.

Davidbentley

Bronze
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby Davidbentley » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:34 pm

anonnymouse wrote:Bumping to keep this thread on page 1 so that it's easily accessible when the announcement comes out this afternoon.

Because I'd really rather not wait another week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H7Ruei3nd0

anonnymouse

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby anonnymouse » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:06 pm

Same as it ever was. Satisfied, I guess.


Biglaw Investor

New
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 3:26 pm

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby Biglaw Investor » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Same as last year. Makes sense to me. Cravath isn't going to hand out raises AND increase bonus compensation in the same year.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.