2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2017 (Preview) Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:14 pm

h2go wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sources in the industry are expecting a slight decrease across the board due to the salary increases, but would not be surprised if Cravath tries to separate themselves from the peons of the V50-V100.

Most of the V50-V100 don't really give market bonuses anyways.

disclaimer: 2L

if this is the case, why would the higher bonuses be considered "market"?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
h2go wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sources in the industry are expecting a slight decrease across the board due to the salary increases, but would not be surprised if Cravath tries to separate themselves from the peons of the V50-V100.

Because many of those firms will announce the headline number as matching Cravath but a lot of their associates won't meet the narrow requirements needed to get the full Cravath scale.

And also because we call it the Cravath scale. Whatever Cravath pays is market.

EIWIsMyFetish

New

Postby EIWIsMyFetish » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
h2go wrote:

Because many of those firms will announce the headline number as matching Cravath but a lot of their associates won't meet the narrow requirements needed to get the full Cravath scale.

yea i get that, I suppose I just always thought "market" was synonymous with "what most peer firms will pay" with 'peer' being exceedingly loose (extend beyond V100)

glad im learning these things now, though, instead of sounding like an idiot later.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:51 pm

EIWIsMyFetish wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
h2go wrote:

yea i get that, I suppose I just always thought "market" was synonymous with "what most peer firms will pay" with 'peer' being exceedingly loose (extend beyond V100)

glad im learning these things now, though, instead of sounding like an idiot later.

If they don't pay top of the market, they're not a peer firm.

The plurality of law firms pay entry-level associates $45k-60k, but you wouldn't call that "market," even though low-level shitlaw employs most of the lawyers in America. And why? Because you don't give a shit about those firms, in the same way I don't give a shit about Bryan Cave.

anonnymouse

Bronze

Postby anonnymouse » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:06 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone done the legwork on what date in November or December bonuses were first announced for the past, say, 5 years?

anonnymouse wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:Can someone data mine when bonuses were announced historically?

TYIA

Already did this like a week ago in anticipation (all announcements by CSM unless otherwise noted):

2014: 11/21 (preempted by STB; edit: I think CSM matched STB on 11/24 before getting falcon punched by DPW)
2013: 12/2
2012: 11/26
2011: 11/28
2010: 11/22
2009: 11/2
2008: 11/20 (preempted by Skadden on 11/19)
2007: 10/29

The only other year with a December announcement in the last 9 was 2013. Pre-ITE, seems like CSM announced in advance of Thanksgiving. ITE, announcements have been the Monday following Thanksgiving (except last year and this year).

Last year was weirdly late with the announcement not until December 7.

Thanks Tiago. Knew I had done this, was too lazy to find it.

Good to see this thread pick up a bit. Cravath better announce in two weeks lest the chorus of NOBONUS heavily affect associate morale...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:12 pm

Associate morale is extraordinarily low at my firm given that we are just too damn busy and need more bodies. Deals are too leanly staffed to the point where partners keep making awkward pleas not to give up and repeatedly thanking us for running on overdrive. Also, at our recent state of the firm presentation we were told that it's been a pretty gangbusters year.

Bonuses better be YUGE.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:13 pm

EIWIsMyFetish wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
h2go wrote:

Market because they set the rate (for comp and bonuses). Other firms either match, match for some folks, or don't match at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:14 pm

Associate morale is extraordinarily low at my firm given that we are just too damn busy and need more bodies. Deals are too leanly staffed to the point where partners keep making awkward pleas not to give up and repeatedly thanking us for running on overdrive. Also, at our recent state of the firm presentation we were told that it's been a pretty gangbusters year.

Bonuses better be YUGE.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Associate morale is extraordinarily low at my firm given that we are just too damn busy and need more bodies. Deals are too leanly staffed to the point where partners keep making awkward pleas not to give up and repeatedly thanking us for running on overdrive. Also, at our recent state of the firm presentation we were told that it's been a pretty gangbusters year.

Bonuses better be YUGE.

This sounds too familiar. I can't tell if we're at the same firm or this is just across the board. It's pretty ridiculous how lean deals are staffed, with no relief in sight. Hire some damn laterals.

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Postby EncyclopediaOrange » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Associate morale is extraordinarily low at my firm given that we are just too damn busy and need more bodies. Deals are too leanly staffed to the point where partners keep making awkward pleas not to give up and repeatedly thanking us for running on overdrive. Also, at our recent state of the firm presentation we were told that it's been a pretty gangbusters year.

Bonuses better be YUGE.

This sounds too familiar. I can't tell if we're at the same firm or this is just across the board. It's pretty ridiculous how lean deals are staffed, with no relief in sight. Hire some damn laterals.

This seems like the beginning of a great office relationship. Please turn this into a romcom someday. Thank you.

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Postby Abbie Doobie » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:09 pm

#boneus2016

MCFC

Platinum

Postby MCFC » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:26 pm

Bump in price of Metrocard = bump in bonus.

anonnymouse

Bronze

Postby anonnymouse » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:27 am

Two years ago, STB kicked off the wildest bonus bonanza since Spring bonuses on the Friday before Thanksgiving.

Help us STB, you're our only hope.

anonnymouse

Bronze

Postby anonnymouse » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:16 am

It's a real travesty that I had to go to the second page to find this thread on the Monday before Thanksgiving.

So can we start the chorus of NOBONUS yet? Or do we have to wait until next Monday?

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Postby gaddockteeg » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:11 pm

very excited for this thread.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:11 pm

anonnymouse wrote:Two years ago, STB kicked off the wildest bonus bonanza since Spring bonuses on the Friday before Thanksgiving.

Help us STB, you're our only hope.

Mm I'm down for a Cravath STB double team in 2016.

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Postby Abbie Doobie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:31 pm

anonnymouse wrote:It's a real travesty that I had to go to the second page to find this thread on the Monday before Thanksgiving.

So can we start the chorus of NOBONUS yet? Or do we have to wait until next Monday?

It's already been started:

Abbie Doobie wrote:#boneus2016

anonnymouse

Bronze

Postby anonnymouse » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:59 pm

Abbie Doobie wrote:
anonnymouse wrote:It's a real travesty that I had to go to the second page to find this thread on the Monday before Thanksgiving.

BONEUS and NOBONUS aren't the same though. All NOBONUSes BONEUS, but not all BONEUSes are NOBONUS.

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Postby Abbie Doobie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:32 pm

anonnymouse wrote:
Abbie Doobie wrote:

BONEUS and NOBONUS aren't the same though. All NOBONUSes BONEUS, but not all BONEUSes are NOBONUS.

ah but then if BONEUS incorporates NOBONUS + other things, isn't NOBONUS implicitly invoked (albeit non-exclusively) by calling out all things falling under the BONEUS umbrella?

LSAT arguments aside, how about this:

*knock* *knock*

me: who's there?

(is NOBONUS)

me: fuck :(

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:03 am

"We are pleased to announce that the year-end bonus amount for each associate class is as follows:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Sincerely,
Allen Parker"

anonnymouse

Bronze

Postby anonnymouse » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:07 pm

Bumping to keep this thread on page 1 so that it's easily accessible when the announcement comes out this afternoon.

Because I'd really rather not wait another week.

Davidbentley

Bronze

Postby Davidbentley » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:34 pm

anonnymouse wrote:Bumping to keep this thread on page 1 so that it's easily accessible when the announcement comes out this afternoon.

Because I'd really rather not wait another week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H7Ruei3nd0

anonnymouse

Bronze

Postby anonnymouse » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:06 pm

Same as it ever was. Satisfied, I guess.

Biglaw Investor

New

Postby Biglaw Investor » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Same as last year. Makes sense to me. Cravath isn't going to hand out raises AND increase bonus compensation in the same year.

Return to “Legal Employment?