Conflicts Checks for Summer Associates

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Conflicts Checks for Summer Associates

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:43 pm

I was a legal assistant in the lit department of a large V10 law firm prior to law school (4 years ago). I was given an offer to join a different firm next summer as a summer associate. As a condition of my employment, I have to list all of my clients and matters from my previous firm.

I didn't take notes or anything relating to what kinds of matters I worked on and I worked on a lot of very small matters, so my client list will be pretty long. How do pre-law school paralegals go about disclosing all of these details? A lot of the matters I worked on were sensitive white collar/regulatory investigations. Are conflicts ever a problem for incoming SAs?

Anonymous User

Re: Conflicts Checks for Summer Associates

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:45 pm

You can request a client list/breakdown from your previous employer, if it's necessary. People have to do this all the time.

I've never heard of a summer associate's offer being rescinded purely because of conflicts from pre-law work. There are tons of paralegals and legal assistants from major firms in law school summering at other firms. They may, however, set up ethical screens and prevent you from working on certain matters. That happened to me after my 1L firm and when I started as an associate.

Anonymous User

Re: Conflicts Checks for Summer Associates

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:16 am

I was in the same boat this past summer. I contacted my manager at my prior firm, who put me in touch with someone in Conflicts, who provided me with a list of all the matters I worked on. I think there was one matter that the firm instructed me not to disclose because of confidentiality. Other than that, I made a chart that would be easy to read for the Conflicts people at the new firm. This is def something that every firm deals with all the time with new hires, as the above poster said, and it did not affect my employment except I had some ethical walls when I was a summer.

Return to “Legal Employment�